GO!

Training question (excitement!)....

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 3:13pm PST 
Ok, so Daisy has picked up sit/down (hand gestures, not the words) in like 2 days. Honestly, I'm glad I got Bella first cause she was so hard to teach the basics with that Daisy has me all excited. Who knew dogs could pick up stuff so quick? (yes, I may be frustrated later at something she doesn't get).

So, if I use a food lure I can get her from a down to a sit. But she won't do it without food. Does she just need more practice or is there some other something I could try?

On a kinda sad note, I wasn't going to start training her this trick but wanted to see if she'd try a "sit pretty" pose. Well, she went right up, then over backwards and hit her head right on the corner of the coffee table. red face Oops.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 3:20pm PST 
She just needs more practice. If she will down with a food lure, then that is working, so you can stick with that. It shouldn't take long for her to understand. I actually add the verbal cue pretty early on downs. What you could do is start to not lower your hand so much (if that's how you do it). You know, like when you first start out, you pretty much have your hand touch the ground. Well, keep the hand motion of pointing/moving towards the ground, but don't go as far down (maybe like an inch off the ground). That way, you're adding the hand lure in, and she'll start looking at your hand instead of on the ground for food.

You could try capturing, but honestly, if luring is working, as in she's laying down on a lure, then I'd just stick with that for her trick.

Good Luck! This is what worked for me.

Edited by author Mon Aug 2, '10 3:21pm PST

[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 3:43pm PST 
She will do sit and down on their own without a lure. I'm working on going from a down up into a sit. She probably does just need more practice with it. I was just getting over excited with how quickly she picked it up. LOL

Maybe I'll be able to agility yet! blue dog
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 3:59pm PST 
Ope...sorry, totally misread that.red face

Same still applies with more time. I use the cue "sit up" to get the dogs from a down to a sit. The hand motion is different than the hand motion for sitting. I just found that was an easier thing to do than just sticking with sit since sit means put your butt on the floor from a standing position. It would be a tad more difficult to get them to associate the position with the cue rather than the action (butt to floor from standing). So, I just made it a different cue entirely.

I used a lure, but I also found just the general motion of moving your hand up and/or clapping would get the dogs to sit up from a down. So I kind of mixed and mashed it...luring and just general excitement. Whatever I thought would work. Didn't take long for them to figure that out either.
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 4:22pm PST 
Yay, Daisycheer

Like Sanka said, just a little more time is probably all Daisy needs. I agree with you though, I'm glad Winnie was my first dog, because she is kinda stubborn when it comes to obedience, so I have to really work at it. Then I'll go to my friend's house and work with her Dobie, and I nearly die loving how quickly she learns everything!laugh out loud
[notify]