GO!

Jerking motion while laying down

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Fri Jul 23, '10 10:34pm PST 
Sometimes when Max lays down, he does a kind of jerking motion and then changes positions. I would liken it to when I am trying to fall asleep and my body jerks awake (does anyone else get this?). Is this normal? Sometimes, he'll do it a few times, and then eventually get up and lay in another spot and settle down. Is he just trying to get comfortable?
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 12:31am PST 
Te-he, he, he....I know he is soooooo adorable and you could watch him all day, but we can't give away all the mysteries of dog behavior.

Some of the stuff dogs do is meant to baffle and amuse us, it makes living with them interesting. I'm sure he watches you and thinks your funny too.

I can't say why one spot on the carpet is better than another, but my dogs say so, so it must be true.

Weirdos.
blue dog
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 12:31pm PST 
He is most likely in some REM sleep stage?
It's like the dream where we are falling. I tend to get this and I am sure I jerk and then change position. No reason to think dog's don't get something similar.

--des
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 12:35pm PST 
Rexy does something similar, and also appears to run, eat, and jump in her sleep. Oh, and howl too. Sheesh. That sure wakes me up in a hurry...it's a very distinctive howl.
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 12:50pm PST 
Wiley gets the "nap jerks" sometimes too! He will wake up, look around, get up, turn around & lay back down with a harumph, give me the stink-eye...like I did something, then go back to sleep. He has a lot of running dreams where the legs start going, yelps, growls, woofs. If Squ'mey goes to check on him he wakes up with a grumpy woof!
[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 9:45pm PST 
Sorry just wanted to make sure I was clear:

Max is not sleeping when this occurs. I have seen him jerk in his sleep as well and run, and bark, and whine, but this particular jerking motion I am talking about is when he is awake.
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sun Jul 25, '10 12:48am PST 
There is a stage right before you fall asleep, must be in dog's too. I'm guessing that's where the dog is, if you asked a person in that stage if they were asleep they would say they were not. If the dog is otherwise normal it's ok. I understand these are common in people with narcolepsy. (Dogs do get this, they will just kind of keel over if they are overexcited.)

--des
[notify]