GO!

Do your dogs act different before a storm or other natural events.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Vivace

Wonder pup in- the making.

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 7:25pm PST 
Today we had an earthquake. Thankfully it wasn't strong in our area but it was a 5.0 at the Quebec/Ontario border. (I'm close to Buffalo on the Canadian side) Vivace and Skippy didn't act any different. In fact Vivy was sleeping in her crate with all four legs in the air, and Skippy was upstairs some were. One of my neighbours dogs did act funny and refused to come in the house which he never does.

Normally if there is a storm coming Vivace gets the zoomies and wants to be outside because she loves the rain. While Skippy becomes a huge baby and wants to cuddle.

Does anyone else notice changes in their dogs before we even know bad weather or what ever is coming?
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 7:41pm PST 
Nope, not a thing. We've had 2 earthquakes, numerous severe storms, several tornadoes, some blizzards, some ice storms, flash flooding....not a peep from the dogs.

I even watched a tornado with the dogs once. They didn't even notice it lol.laugh out loud

Maybe they can predict storms....they just choose not to tell me.wink
[notify]
Sargent &- Dutchess CGC

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 8:18pm PST 
Lumburger used to get the willienillies before and during a storm. He would hide or stay close to me, just act very antsy.
Dutchess started howling today for no reason (something she does for sirens), I was wondering if she felt the earthquake. I didn't, but alot of people in my area did.
[notify]

Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 10:14pm PST 
Skyline goes bug eyed when she hears thunder, she'll jump and then freeze like WTH WAS THAT?!. Its pretty funny to watch lol. But as to her acting differently before the storm starts, no. She just acts fine till she hears it. Rickards doesn't notice anything, hes really laid back kinda guy.
[notify]
Jake

Ary's handsome- prince

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 10:36pm PST 
Jake is Terrible with storms!eek He's an outside dog so he jumps on the door till we let him in. I let him in when it's a really bad storm. I don't when it's lightly raining but he still jumps.big laugh (He has a doghouse. I guess he just doesn't care)
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 11:14pm PST 
My mom's three dogs are afraid hours befoe storms, but my dogs act just the same.
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 12:01am PST 
Ava's only experienced several tropical storms with the high wind and severe rain and all that good stuff, and thunder/lightning storms. She has yet to experience an earthquake, and I hope she never has to... because that would mean I'd have to as well and I HATE earthquakes. laugh out loud

But she couldn't care less about tropical storms unless she has to go out in them, which I did make her go out in one a couple weeks ago because she had to pee. She wasn't really scared though, just very very unhappy about getting soaked. XD

The worst I've seen her react to thunder is looking around, confused. She doesn't really get scared by the loud noise, which is fantastic. I'm really looking forward to the 4th of July this year. wink
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 1:52am PST 
With Cinnamon, Sandy and Meepster, all the time. I don't know if it's because they're more sensitive than the other three or just more in touch with the weather or what... but every time a big storm is coming, right before it starts, they start acting funny. The other day, right before a thunder storm, Cinnamon climbed on the table crying. eek They'll try and hide, they'll cry, they'll get more clingy than usual and they'll do other weird things they wouldn't do otherwise (like... standing on the table. shock ). We've never been through an Earthquake. We get a lot of hurricanes, though. Meepster hasn't been through one yet, but the other two get really strange acting before a hurricane. Even if it's not passing directly over us but just passing over the city over.
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 2:07am PST 
My dogs have "warned" me before earthquakes at least a half dozen times.
[notify]
Dakota

the Good dog

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 7:50am PST 
We don't have earthquakes here TD but every afternoon thunderstorms this time a year. You always know ahead of time when they are coming, Dakota can get up from a sound sleep, walk into the study and get under the desk. 15 minutes later, you hear the thunder! Don't know how she does it! shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2