GO!

My oh so hyper black lab

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moxy

All black, all- energy.

Barked: Sat Mar 27, '10 5:36pm PST 
Well, my black lab seems to be very relentlessly hyper. Id like to know if any of you fellow lab owners have had over hyper issues. And if you do, is it something you can change, does it change with age, or should I just get used to it. I love my dog so much, so Im willing to deal with whatever Im dealt, Id just like so advise.blue dog
[notify]
Crystal

who are you- calling a prissy- pants?

Barked: Sat Mar 27, '10 6:06pm PST 
Labs are one of those breeds that really want to have something to do, and they get bored easily. They have a lot of energy, so they need a lot of exercise. I would recommend long walks daily if you aren't doing that, as well as giving your dog a "job" to do. I would suggest working with him on something like retrieving, obedience, etc. Take a look at the AKC events and pick one to train for. You don't have to actually ever compete in an event, or plan to. It is good for you just to have something to work towards and train towards, and the AKC events can give you guidelines on what to train. This gives your dog something to do, a "job" per se and they won't be nearly as bored and out of control. But I can't stress enough... exercise, exercise, exercise. Think, a 30 minute to an hour walk at least once a day, preferable twice, and a nice long game of fetch every day as well.
[notify]
Moxy

All black, all- energy.

Barked: Sat Mar 27, '10 6:20pm PST 
Thank you so much. smile
So doing these things should bring his hyper level down a tad?
[notify]

Nipper

The 3 "B"s:- Books, Bond, Bed

Barked: Sat Mar 27, '10 6:32pm PST 
Moxy, in addition to all of Crystal's good advice, you may want to check out this article. Crystal already emphasized the physical exercise aspect of it, so pay especial attention to what the article (and also all of the excellent comments, when you have the time to read through them) have to say about the importance of mental exercise and novelty for your dog. Hopefully it gives you some helpful food for thought in dealing with your beautiful, energetic boy. smile
[notify]
Juniper CGC

SQUIRRELLLL?- Where??

Barked: Sat Mar 27, '10 6:44pm PST 
(Crystal's mum, posting as Ju so you can see my big black baby smile
I'm gonna have to read that article myself! Moxy, they SHOULD. The amount of exercise and mental stimulation that a dog needs varies tremendously among dogs, even of the same breed. You will have to start out and see where it gets you. If he is still excitable, you may have to do more.

I am a volunteer puppy raiser for a guide dog school, and I have raised two black labs myself. Both were amazing dogs, and super smart, as most labs are. Neither were very high energy, and I attribute that to the amount of physical and mental stimulation that they received. For about 8 hours a day, they were "working" or in training. Because of that, when we got home, they were chilled out and relaxed. Labradors are capable of remarkable things when you can harness all of their energy and focus it towards accomplishing a goal. The biggest thing is to have patience and find what works for you and your lab.

On a side note, I don't know what you are feeding, but you may want to check the ingredients list on your dog food (if you feed kibble) and make sure that it doesn't contain sugar. Lol, just like it does kids, sugar can make dogs super hyper, and it is actually a pretty common ingredient in dog food.
[notify]
Moxy

All black, all- energy.

Barked: Sat Mar 27, '10 7:30pm PST 
Wow! Thanks so much to everyone. I will get right on reading that article. smile
And Junniper! You remind me so much of my mox, but since he is not full bred, he willl not get as huge as you.
[notify]
Moxy

All black, all- energy.

Barked: Sat Mar 27, '10 7:31pm PST 
Wow! Thanks so much to everyone. I will get right on reading that article. smile
And Junniper! You remind me so much of my mox, but since he is not full bred, he willl not get as huge as you.
[notify]
Tazz

spoiled rotten- hound dog

Barked: Sat Mar 27, '10 8:22pm PST 
It will improve with age. I have a Brittany instead of a lab, but still a high energy hunting dog. He was insane for the first 2 years, starting getting better in the 3rd and by the 4th was a complete couch potato.
[notify]
Juniper CGC

SQUIRRELLLL?- Where??

Barked: Sun Mar 28, '10 9:11am PST 
Lol Moxy Ju is a BEAST! He's about 85 lbs now at 1 1/2 years. Good luck with Moxy!
[notify]
Yogi "Owen"

Fun, Food, and- the Pursuit of- Squirrels.

Barked: Sun Mar 28, '10 9:31am PST 
Nipper, great article! Thanks for the link.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2