GO!

Dog Backpacks.. do they really help tire a dog out?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Vivace

Wonder pup in- the making.

Barked: Tue Mar 16, '10 8:25pm PST 
I'm trying to think of ways to tire Vivace out while on our walks. She will go for as long as I take her and not seem to tire out. We are working on healing and waiting at corners so I am making her think. Someone mentioned using a backpack might help. In the house she is really calm and even though she does play with her toys she is not hyper. It is just outside that she is bonkers.

Has anyone used a backpack on their dog before? What are the benifits to using one?
[notify]
Juno CGC

Juno What I\'m- Sayin\'?

Barked: Tue Mar 16, '10 9:53pm PST 
I've seen people say their dogs are more focused on walks when they wear a backpack (no leash pulling), and that it tires them out more because it gives them a job to do (mental exercise). Plus, depending on what you put in the backpack, the extra weight definitely adds to the physical workout and I can see it tiring a dog out better than walking without it.

I plan on getting Juno a backpack for this summer, if for no other reason than how convenient it would be to have her carry her own poop bags and water. lol.
[notify]
Roxy

I am a Snow Dog!

Barked: Tue Mar 16, '10 9:59pm PST 
All of our dogs except gunner(he's still too small) wear backpacks on all our walks. I believe it helps them alot! Lilly is like the energizer bunny lol..she just goes on and on.... we weighted her backpack down with rice and it helps alot! She is alot calmer with my son and seems to actually get more out of the walks! Personally i would recommend a backpack. The only downside i have to ours is that Ace and Roxy will randomly bump my legs with theirslaugh out loud
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Tue Mar 16, '10 10:01pm PST 
Yes, but be careful. Dogs with joint problems, arthritis, older dogs, puppies, ill dogs, pregnant, etc should not wear backpacks.
[notify]
Vivace

Wonder pup in- the making.

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 7:30am PST 
Thanks for the input. I think that I might give it a try. Vivace is young but is fully grown and has no joint issues. Any good tips on what type I could look into. I will have to order one online. Since none of the stores in this city carry them.
[notify]
Twister

woof softly and- carry a big- stick

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 7:39am PST 
I was planning on getting a back pack for Twister when I go to Petsmart this week, I hope they work, because he really gives me a workout when I "walk" him! He is so full of energy! I won't get one for Budrow though, he is just fine with moseying slowly when we walk, which I highly prefer! Just one of the many reasons why I walk them separately!

I hope it works for you as well, good luck! wave
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 7:39am PST 
At 12 months old she should be fully grown, so a backpack would be a good idea. This is the one we use:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Ruff-Wear-Palisades-P ack/221000.aspx
[notify]
Sawyer

words are very- unnecessary

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 8:38am PST 
Sawyer carries a backpack! He has for almost a year now. I got it to help him focus and to help tire him out on walks (we take three one hour walks a day). In the winter its usually water and canned goods in his backpack. In the summer its a couple bottles of frozen water. He really enjoys it. And gets all excited to step into his back pack to "go work"dancing
[notify]
Chingu

Born to chase- squirrels

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 9:08am PST 
Chingu used to wear a backpack and while it took some time to adjust to it i think it was good for him. He doesn't wear it as much now because he's really aged this last year and he's starting to have trouble with his hips so he doesn't need to be more tired out but I think Ruff Wear makes great backpacks and we got a great deal from REI outlet. What I really liked about their backpack is its detachable from the harness and so he still wears the harness when out and about and its great for us.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 10:53am PST 
I have the ruffwear approach pack for Uno since we do a lot of hiking, but I use it on walks around the neighborhood as well, it definitely helps with pulling and keeps the dog focused on the task, rather then distractions such as squirrels/cats/other dogs.
I reccomend that you'd look at different brands, but I found that the chain pet store ones like outward hound are very poorly designed and low quality, so they may cost less initially, theyre not worth buying, imo.

I found mine on outdoor exhange site for $35 and it was brand new, and I know that people always list ruffwear items on ebay, even for original price, its a bit more, but its definitely worth it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3