GO!

Puppy Humping Cat...?!?!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Stella

:)

Barked: Sat Feb 13, '10 8:47pm PST 
Hi, so this seems like a question I never imagined I would ever have to bring up.
So our puppy Stella is about 10 weeks old and she is spayed. However, lately she has been trying to play with our 1 year old cat by jumping on his back. I didn't think it was a big deal until right now I just saw her humping him while she was on his back....? What do I do??? Help!
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sun Feb 14, '10 12:33am PST 
Hmm, I suppose distracting him-- he is a puppy after all. If you teach your dog to look at you when you say his name, that would be an idea.

Another idea would be to put him in the bathroom-- not say anything-- for say 2 minutes.

OTOH, if the cat really hated it, cats have ways of dealing with it. If the cat is dog-wise, you could just let the cat "tell" the dog what not to do. In a non-dog wise cat, it could be a little dangerous. Like dogs, on the back is vulnerable-- though unlike dogs, cats on their backs are not wishing for interaction.

BUT-- There is no reason to expect a dog to know how to treat a cat (or vise versa), so you might have to teach this by rewarding good behavior--ignoring the cat, looking at the cat and looking away, positive interaction like licking, and redirecting negative behavior.

I actually clicker trained the cat (it isn't that hard!) and the dog, and when they were calm around each other I clicked/treated in a sort of round robin way (I had 2 cats and 1 dog at the time). Initially I put the cats and dog far apart, and gradually got them closer together.

Karen Pryor's clickertraining.com site has information on clicker training cats.

--des
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Feb 14, '10 12:43am PST 
Dogs hump for many reasons than just sex. In puppies, it is a normal part of play and learning. The previous poster listed several ways to combat the problem if you find it problematic.
[notify]

Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sun Feb 14, '10 12:59am PST 
Yeah I didn't think it was sex. But I didn't think the cat would be to happy with this arrangement.

--des
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Sun Feb 14, '10 9:16am PST 
Every Boston Terrier I have ever had has been a horrid cat humper. The females have been the worst.
My cats are only mildly annoyed by this and will let the dogs know if they have had enough. I have had other breeds that did not hump cats. Maybe they are more dignified than Boston Terriers. thinking

Cat humping may have something to do with dominance in dogs. In dogs it isn't a pecking order, but a loose humping order. Dogs hump cats because they can. "Look, I can hump this strange creature." Cats don't really" get" that this is a dominance thing because cats don't usually hump things like dogs will. ( I have seen some exceptions, but it's usually a favorite human or sweater) I have yet to have a cat hump one of my dogs. Dogs do "get" the whole humping thing and usually protest if another dog tries to hump them, or if they are the submissive type, they may just stand and take it.
[notify]