GO!

Is your dog barking at nothing.... or something else?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 9:02am PST 
I wasn't really sure where to post this, but it's sort of a "behavior" issue, so I thought here would be good. But before you start reading, I understand people have different views on the subject. Some people believe, some people think it's evil, some people think the believers are crazy. I just know what I've experienced in my life.. call me crazy if you will! It won't change anything. wink

I was watching The Haunted on animal planet last night. The episode was called "The Possession of Cassie." Very creepy episode. Anyway, for those who didn't see it, the episode was about this family that moved into this evil haunted house, and their dogs kept acting up and seemed to be barking at nothing as soon as they moved in. At the end of the episode, the PI says "you shouldn't ignore a dog when it seems to be barking at nothing... there's something there."

It reminded me of a time when I was bringing Daegan back home after a day of playing at a friend's and I had to put him outside. It was about 9 pm or so... I hadn't yet gone inside my house, but as I was getting ready to, I looked at Daegan, who was staring... I mean STARING, at the house next door... Then he started to growl a little in a very quiet, low growl. Then he began to bark excessively, something he normally doesn't do. He was just barking and barking and staring at this house. There were no cars, no people, no animals, NOTHING at this house. I really don't think anyone was there either, because all the lights were out. But he was looking at something. Something was there, I knew it.

I went inside and I was about to tell my mom that I didn't know what Daegan was barking at, but before I could say anything, she said, "David (my stepdad) is upset... his friend next door just died."

I found out later that the man's body was still in the house when I brought Daegan home that night.

Anyone have similar experiences?? smile
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 9:30am PST 
I've only heard Sanka do a "mean" bark once. It was in the middle of the summer and it was after dark. Sanka started to bark a really low toned bark. He usually has a sissy high pitch bark. But this bark was different...something I've never heard him do before. He was standing on the deck looking out towards the field.

The field had corn in it and it was fully grown. Since it was dark out, I couldn't really see anything. It couldn't just be an average critter because Sanka never barked like that before at them. I went inside and got a Mag light. I shined it on the field but didn't see anything. I then panned the light across the corn stalks...right to left. Once I got to the left side, the corn parted as if someone was walking from the yard and headed into the field.eek It looked as though someone put their hands on a the corn stalks and moved them apart so they could fit through.

I had just finished watching the movie Signs too...so the thoughts going through my head scared me more than what actually happened. I loaded up the squirt guns and hunkered down inside. I never did find out what it was.

Kato had me scared a few months ago. I was out with him and it was past dark. I was walking around the yard when his hackles rose up and he started growling at the fence. I couldn't see what it was because it was dark, and I didn't have a flashlight. I went inside and got one. I shined the light all around, but nothing was there and Kato stopped growling. But the next night, he did it again when I was out there. Something was walking alongside the fence when I was out there with him...or so that's what he thought.

Come to find out, he was growling at my shadow that was cast on the fence.laugh out loud It was a very faint shadow. My neighbor's side lights were on and they were just bright enough for a dim shadow of me to be depicted on the fence. Everytime I moved, Kato would bark at the shadow. If I raised my hands in the air really fast, he'd run away.

So, if Sanka barks at something, I know there's something there. If Kato barks at something...it could be anything. He once had a barking fit over a plastic bag that was caught on the fence.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 9:56am PST 
Titus barks almost exclusively at humans or human activity... but he occasionally barks at the first rolls of thunder and flashes of lightning when a thunderstorm rolls through. Valentine rarely barks unless Titus is barking, too.
[notify]

McKayla

DING! Fries are- ready!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 12:08pm PST 
McKayla will seemingly bark at nothing also. Since dogs can hear sounds at different decibels than we can, maybe they can see things that we can't? Ha ha! big laugh

There is usually a reason (that we may not always recognize) for a dog to be barking. Kayla doesn't bark much, unless it is the doorbell or a knock at the door. But, she does bark herself awake when she is napping during the day. What is THAT all about? When she is napping on the couch, she will turn and quietly bark at the couch. She is a nutjob.
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 12:21pm PST 
Woah, Sanka, that is really interesting! Find out about your field and see if anyone had ever met an unfortunate end there.

Daegan usually doesn't bark at nothing so I figured something had to be there. My mom thinks maybe Daegan sensed something was wrong next door. Maybe, but he was LOOKING at something. He had his eyes FIXED on something. thinking
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 12:31pm PST 
I watch The Haunted Daegan and I saw that particular episode. What a nightmare for that poor family. I believe animals are more open to spirits, not sure why. Maybe because they have a low level of thinking and it takes rational thought to explain something away. I believe children are more open as well. Possibly because they've not lived long enough to have had their minds changed. I think spirits come to those who've not developed a filter yet. Most children who see spirits grow out of it. Probably because their parents, friends and a part of society say otherwise. Interesting stat, 70-75% percent of people believe.

I've not had an experience involving my dogs where spirits are concerned. However I've questioned things that have happened to me personally before.

One in particular a few months back my favorite Aunt died. Around Christmas I was going through some old photos and found one of her and I hugging. I left it out, thinking maybe I'll frame this. I liked looking at it and I had no other photos of her out in the house. I took it in my bedroom and put it on top of my dresser. One night a few weeks back I woke up having to go. I laid there awhile thinking I don't want to get up, I'm warm. Finally I decided to get up, afterall the heat was on. All of a sudden when I was only a few feet from my bed a freezing sudden burst of wind went through the front of me very fast. I mean it felt about 40 degrees. It gently blew my hair back on the sides. I stopped briefly thinking what the hell was that??? We have very high quality windows, with ty-vec insellation in a newly built house. It was in the teens that night so they were not open and heavy curtains drape over them, along with solid oak blinds underneath the curtains. All were closed. The next day I felt around the windows for even a possible coolness. Nothing, but warm around the edges, nothing was getting through. I remember the feeling I had when it happened. I was startled, but not really afraid. Anyway the next few days I kept thinking about it and then I passed my dresser and happened to glance at the photo. I picked it up and thought, "Was it you Aunt Patsy"? I'd like to think it was. I put the photo away, but I think I'm bringing it back out to frame. I felt a sense of comfort ever sense.

Edited by author Mon Jan 18, '10 12:53pm PST

[notify]
Hucky

Have Teeth, will- Chew

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 12:43pm PST 
I lived in an old house years ago. Rented. I had 2 dogs. Both dogs would stand in the living room looking down a hallway with their hair raised and bark. It was strange because at the end of that hallway, I had 3 pictures hanging. 1 of each of my sons in all the same frames. Every night I'd come home and my oldest sons pic would be on the floor. Oneday I decide to rotate the pics and sure enough, I'd come home and still my oldest sons pic would be on the floor. Nobody was home during the day to play a joke on us. I know my dogs sensed something at the end of that hallway. Alot of strange things went on in that house. Strange as it may seem, 2 weeks after I moved out, the house went on fire. So yes, I believe when dogs at barking at nothing that we can see, they see or sense something.
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 6:59pm PST 
Kahuna, Hucky, those are very interesting stories! I've only had one experience with the paranormal, but it was a rather scary one. Unfortunately Daegan wasn't there, but I'm planning on taking him back to this house to see if he reacts any differently. (If I can muster up the courage to take myself back! bol!)

There is an old historical house called "The Rock House" in my town. It used to be an old plantation and the owners are buried near it. I'd never been to it before and out of the blue me and my best friend decided to go to it at about midnight that night. The rumor was that it was haunted. (PI's have been there and actually brought a dog that acted scared when he went inside...) Anyway, the house was located down this incredibly creepy dirt road with no houses or no other roads around it. We finally got to the house, but the gate was locked, so we couldn't get in. We just kinda stayed in the car for awhile. "So this is it, huh?" I said.. My friend was like "Yeah, that's it." Honestly I wasn't expecting anything to happen, and since we couldn't actually get inside, I suggested we leave. Plus I was getting this really odd feeling we needed to go. Well my friend turns his car on and as he was turning around the whole car completely shut off!! I said "YOU BETTER KNOCK THAT S*** OFF, DUDE!!" because I thought he was playing a trick on me. It was pitch black outside. He said "It's not me!!" He tried to turn the car on and it wouldn't start. I got my phone out to call 911..or ghostbusters, can't remember which, and then his car finally starts. I said, LET'S GO!! WHY ARE YOU GOING SO SLOW??", and as we were leaving, I looked back at the house and the door to the old plantation house was WIDE open, and it was NOT open when we got there.

On the way back home, we just kinda sat there for a few minutes in complete silence. I broke it by saying, "DUDE!! I can't believe that just happened!!"

His car is relatively new and just had a tune up before that happened. His car had never done that before and it hasn't done it since. Plus, his ipod had been completely drained, and even the only light in the area (the light that lit up the Rock House) had shut off. I wasn't really sure if I should have been scared, excited, or what... maybe it was a little bit of both...

Anyway, sorry for the dog-less entry! red face I'm interested in hearing your ghost stories whether it involves dogs or not! big grin
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 7:58pm PST 
Lol Daegan....you mean you don't have the ghostbusters on speeddial?

I shouldn't read this thread anymore. I just had to turn on all the lights because I just got that creepy feeling from reading the stories....that feeling like something's behind me.

The only other creepy occurance that happened to me that I can think of right now happened while I was at a pizza restaurant. I was eating out with a friend. She was really thirsty for some reason so she had all these extra glasses sitting on the table.

We were just chit chatting away when all of a sudden, the glass in the middle of the table slid about 6 inches. We both watched as the glass moved by itself. Nobody moved the table...we weren't sitting on a slope...there wasn't an earthquake....it just moved by itself as if someone pushed it aside. We both looked up at each other with the same thought in mind..."what the hell just happened?"
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 8:51pm PST 
Lol Sanka! Me too! I also just got through watching another The Haunted on Animal Planet, and it was a really creepy episode. The family had this thing called a "ghost box" and it kept telling them that stuff was gonna happen to their family. It told them they needed to get their dog out of the house. Well, they didn't listen to the ghost box and their dog ended up getting sick and dying. frown It also told them there was going to be a burglary and someone was going to die. They waited that night with bats and guns, getting ready to fight off this burglar and the next day, they found out that a friend who had stayed in the house for awhile just got murdered after someone broke into HIS house. It was pretty creepy....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9