GO!

What Age Should a Boxer Stop Having Pups?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 11:54am PST 
Friends of mine have a gorgeous 10-year-old female Boxer and an 11-year-old male Boxer. They have bred her every single heat since she first came into heat (I think maybe 7 or 8 months of age). They sell the pups without any registration papers for $250 each just for the money. Personally, I think this is terribly selfish. I believe their dog is pregnant with her 15th or 16th litter, whatever number it is, she has had A LOT! At what age should a Boxer stop having puppies? I would think that by 10 years of age any dog shouldn't breed any longer, right? confused
[notify]
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 12:08pm PST 
Yikes! every heat? That's nuts! The poor dog... at least by now she has lots of practice at it...

I've heard of dogs of other breeds having pups at 10-12 years old, but litter size tends to decrease, and birth defects and complications go up. I don't think there is a clear-cut age limit, but a lot of breeders stop at 8 years old or so, and many after only 2 or 3 litters.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 12:11pm PST 
I feel so sorry for that dog. I've tried to tell them that spaying her would be the best thing to do, but they want the money from the puppies. It is a sad, sad situation. They are terrible pet owners. They have already had animal control take away their Rottweiler puppy that they allowed to get infested with fleas and ticks and just left the poor thing in the yard. Their male Boxer is absolutely skin and bones and I think animal control needs to get out there again. They are my friends, but I'm trying to think about the animals....bad situation cry
[notify]

Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 12:52pm PST 
Anyone with that much disregard for an animal I could not call a friend.
[notify]
Chase (CGC)

I'm A Proud- Wiggle Butt!

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 12:53pm PST 
Shane, I was thinking the same thing frown
[notify]
Isy

Anything if you- just throw the- ball!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 1:52pm PST 
eekeekeekeekeekeek Poor poochie!!! crycrycry

Sometimes I'd like to just hit people over the head! --With a Mac Truck!!!!!!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 1:54pm PST 
I personally think that breeding a dog every heat cycle is torture. Just my opinion.
[notify]
Figaro SDIT

Can't read my,- can't read my- poodle face

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 1:56pm PST 
Wow, breeding a dog every heat for that many years should be animal cruelty. I thought breeding every heat wasn't recommended anyway, for the dogs health.

I'd ask your "friend" if they wanted a pet or a money machine.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 2:05pm PST 
Normally, ethical breeders will breed a bitch twice - maybe three times. Certainly not every year of her life... poor baby.
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 2:07pm PST 
Sounds like a backyard puppy mill.
Run away, run away. Maybe turn them in as an unlicensed puppy mill.

I wouldn't associate with such a person. YUCK can we say slim under rocks, a waste of air. Too bad they were ever born......

Why is it there are so many unwanted stray dogs????? People like these are a big part of the problem. Why are there so many boxers with problems...Bingo.

GRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2