GO!

Does Saxophone Hurt Doggie's Ears?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Roly

Roly Poly- Daddy\'s Little- Fatty

Barked: Mon Dec 21, '09 11:40am PST 
I've had my friend's dog howl like he's in pain when I play my saxophone. My friends say he does that also when they play the violin. But I haven't played sax since acquiring my little dogger buddy, Roly. Does anyone know if playing an instrument might really hurt his ears or does he howl for other reasons? I'd like to take up the saxophone again, but don't want to torture him.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Mon Dec 21, '09 12:24pm PST 
They often howl along - but pain is a different reaction. If your dog's ears hurt, he might paw at them, shake them, whimper, or go away from the sound. When I play clarinet, my parents' dog will come RUNNING into the room to howl at me.

Just don't point your sax into the puppy's ears - common sense.
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Dec 21, '09 4:55pm PST 
It doesn't hurt their ears persay, but my instruments have been scarce since we've acquired all the pets. The cats literally think the world is ending and will run and hide in the craziest places. Tanuk just seriously disapproves and alternates between huffing at me and running around the house. I play the saxophone and bagpipes, and boy let me tell you, nothing is funnier than when I hit that first note and everyone scatters! If your friend is concerned, stuffing a few beanie babies in the bell of the sax muffles it nicely but doesn't compromise your practicing. wink
[notify]