GO!

Does the ThunderShirt really work?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Delilah

Jumping the- fence is the- life.

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 9:46pm PST 
I saw this ad for stop dog barking. I clicked on it and there was a video on there website, it showed these 2 dogs who were barking like CRAZY when anyone would knock on the door, ring the doorbell or do anything, the dogs would bark non-stop, then the people put the ThunderShirt on the dog and the dogs did not bark any more. I think the website is ThunderShirt.com. I would really like to know if it works, all my dogs bark non-stop all the time and I need to know if it works or not. If you guys have any other ways how to stop my dogs from barking at everything PLEASE tell me. I want to give them away now, I am sorry, I just can't handle it anymore. So, please tell me of any ways! I have tried Cesar Millian and NONE of his training works for my dogs! It is mostly buddy, if I could rate his barking from 1-10 I would rate 10, like I said he barks non-stop, so does Oreo. If I could rate any higher I would! Thank you so much for all your help!
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Nov 24, '09 6:59am PST 
ThunderShirt is like an anxiety wrap... you can make one yourself to try. You should use an anxiety wrap in conjunction with training, do not just assume it has magical properties and will solve all of your barking problems. I'm sorry to hear you want to get rid of your dogs just because they bark. You mention CM but you don't say what exactly you did. What did you try? For how long? How consistent? How much exercise do your dogs get? How much daily mental stimulation do your dogs get?
[notify]
Delilah

Barked: Tue Nov 24, '09 6:43pm PST 
Kolbe: I tried almost all of his barking techniques. I do NOT want to get rid of my dogs (It is the Chihuahuas that barks, sorry I did not mention that in the post). But, there barking gets so bad I feel like just giving them up and taking them to a new home. It is constant non-stop and is driving me insane! I have over 2.5+ acres, maybe 3.5+ acres. All my dogs run on the land all fenced, every bit of the land is fenced, except my front yard! Anways, Buddy is different from all the others HE starts the barking, HE like never goes off the proch to pee, he either has to go pee or poop so bad that he does it on the porch and does not go off, or if he feels like going off he will, which is very rare. He has never been socalized, which is part of his issue, because when I first got him I did not have time to socalize him and I felt bad. He is 4 or 5 years old now, so what do I suppose to do? There is a guy who comes around everyday to my house and my dogs go crazy at him non-stop barking. I know it is the energy in him, he has bad energy, which leads my dogs to bark. But any info would be amazing to make them stop barking! I want to tell you, Thank you for all your help Kolbe! Happy Thanksgiving! Please, anyone if you have any more to tell, please do!
[notify]

Junior

I can run just- as fast with 3- legs

Barked: Tue Nov 24, '09 6:56pm PST 
"I have over 2.5+ acres, maybe 3.5+ acres. All my dogs run on the land all fenced"

If you watched Cesar Millan then you know that no matter how big your yard is, it's just a big kennel to the dogs. Walks are so important! Your dogs need to get out as much as you do. There are many other techniques that can be applied...like training you dogs to go to a mat when someone rings the doorbell or such. There are so many other alternatives to try!

But YOU have to ready and prepared to work! It isn't a quick fix. If you feel you are just in over your head and can't commit to the dogs, then perhaps it would be best for everyone if you were able to find a nice suitable home for the dogs.
[notify]
Delilah

Barked: Tue Nov 24, '09 8:23pm PST 
Junior, I know! I do take them on walks! But, Buddy is the only dog that will NOT go on a walk.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Tue Nov 24, '09 9:17pm PST 
Then you need to work on Buddy's anxiety, so that he can learn to feel comfortable going for walks and going off the porch to pee in the yard.
[notify]
Sunny

It's ok to- comfort scared- dogs!

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 11:27am PST 
It doesn't sound like you've actually been training your dog not to bark. You mention Cesar Millan's techniques, which by his own admonition, he is not a dog trainer and the techniques he recommends are not to be tried on your own. Could be that his techniques have added to your dog's stress level.

An anxiety wrap, like the Thundershirt can help train a dog by lowering their stress level. Dogs don't learn very well when they're stressed which is why it's hard to teach an excited dog not to bark, their brain is not in a learning place.

Are you familiar with positive reinforcement training and how it works to change a dog's behavior? Getting a dog to stop barking can be frustrating because the barking is just so darn annoying that it's hard to be a good trainer when you just want to shut the dog up. I have four dogs of my own and board dogs in my home so the barking scene can get crazy.

The best way for me to quiet everyone down is to pull out the super good treats, get everyone to sit and start handing out treats for quiet sits. It doesn't happen overnight. My own dogs and regular guests get the drill and after a few 'someone's here!' barks will sit and wait for their rewards. Since I add new dogs to the mix, and there are new distractions for all the dogs I keep treats handy to use all the time. It's far less energy consuming than trying to quiet a pack of barking dogs by other means (which don't work anyway!).
[notify]
Jasper

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 6:06pm PST 
What exactly do they bark at? The doorbell? Knocking? When someone actually comes in the house?
Whatever it is, the best way to solve it is through positive reinforcement like the person before me said. For example, if its the doorbell, ring the doorbell. KEEP doing it. Eventually, theyll get tired, and will realize barkings not getting them anymore. When theyre quiet, they get a treat. This desensitizes them to the sound, and also makes them realize they get a treat for not barking.
I'm pretty sure there was something about this on Its Me or the Dog but I can't find it :/
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 9:46pm PST 
I'd really like to know if the ThunderShirt or the Anxiety Wrap works and if so, which seems to work better. I have a 4-5 lb Yorkie-Poo that I rescued at 7 mos. from a puppy mill situation. She was very full of anxiety when she came home from being in a cage for the first 7 mos of her life, but within a few months she was fine. Calm and happy, no problems. Last year (at 5 yrs) she began having seizures, only a few so far. However, she has become very "screamy" when people come to the door. It is really awful, she SCREAMS for about 10 minutes and then finally calms down. I think that the seizures and the intense reactions are connected---perhaps a brain tumor. I would like to try the Thundershirt or the AnxietyWrap to see if it will calm her down. Is there anyone out there that has any experience with either or both of these? I'd really appreciate any input. (as for those of you who think that I should be aggressively dealing with the possible tumor, just look up how successful that kind of treatment is with humans---and then you will understand why I want to make my little sweetie calm and happy. So PLEASE just the advice that I am asking for). So, thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 12:03pm PST 
i'm just going to answer the question about the ThunderShirt since that was the question that was asked.

I'm going to say in Jake's case it works. Had extreme anxiety and the anti anxiety medication made him loose bowl control so we stopped using it. This shirt was our last hope. Jake is able to stay alone now for about 7-8 hours and calmly be awaiting me when i get home.

No more destroyed walls, doors, beds nothing. No more drool or whining. He's able to have a proactive day at home all alone with his jacket on. We've only been using it for a week and it makes such a difference in our relationship. WIthout the shirt on Jake lasted about 30 minutes. NOw without hte shirt on he can go about an hour.

But i still train him to be alone with and without the shirt on. Depending on my planned duration of absence.

So i'm going to say Thumbs up for the shirt. but i do know some peopel where it didn'tw ork. Get it at petsmart that way if it doens't work you can just take it back.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2