GO!

Dachshund won't go to the bathroom at night or in the cold

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cooper

If its dark out- side, I DON'T- THIS SO!

Barked: Thu Nov 5, '09 8:13pm PST 
I recently adopted a 2 year old male Dachshund from an SPCA! He is a great addition to our family. We are currently having behavior issues with him that started about 2 weeks ago. At night-time he refuses to go to the bathroom. It currently gets dark here at 5! So he will go to the bathroom from 7 am to 430ish pm. He is now going to the bathroom in our house at night time. So we obviously know he has to go. We have been give him awards when he goes outside and he goes to the bathroom. It just doesn't seem to work when it gets dark out. He also won't go to the bathroom when it snows or rains. So this makes the problem this much worse. I know it can hurt him physically.

Also he was a stray on the streets for about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if something happened to him while he was on the run. We also believe he was abused by his past family.

Can someone help me?
[notify]
Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Thu Nov 5, '09 9:33pm PST 
Hi, Cooper!

Phoebe doesn't like to go out and do her "business" when it's raining or the ground is wet, so I sympathize.

What I do with her is strongly encourage her to suck it up, get out there, and do what needs to be done. If she does, I praise her lavishly. If she won't, I confine her to her crate and continue to offer her the opportunity to go out at regular intervals. Eventually she either gets sick of holding it or sick of being in her crate, and she will dash out and do what needs doing. But if I lef her loose in the house, she would almost certainly have an accident. That's the reason for the crate.

So what I would suggest to you is that you continue to give Cooper ample oportnities to go outside to relieve himself. If he won't, when you come back in, put him in a crate or keep him on a leash tethered to you until such time as he breaks down and sees reason. May be a long road, but you can do it! way to go
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Thu Nov 5, '09 9:46pm PST 
My dogs don't like it either, but every time we go out they know it's for a long haul around the block. Doesn't matter if it's raining, snowing, dark, whatever....we always go around the block at a minimum. If they really have to go, there's no way they make it around the block without stopping. Maybe just take him out on leash and walk down the street and back?

Angus

Don't mess with- me!

Barked: Thu Nov 5, '09 9:57pm PST 
Angus doesn't like getting his feet wet either. I pick him up take him outside set him down in the grass and wait there till he goes. Now he's started to go out when it's raining more on his own and he will run under the boat trailer and go. For some reason he has no problem going in the rain if you let him out the front door.shrug
[notify]
Cooper

If its dark out- side, I DON'T- THIS SO!

Barked: Fri Nov 6, '09 8:16am PST 
Night time seems to be our biggest problem..

I have tried the crate thing. He could care less.. I'm not sure if its from being in a kennel for over a month. But he is sure 1 stubborn little dog.
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Fri Nov 6, '09 8:27am PST 
Put him on lead to take him out. If he won't budge, carry him out and place him in the spot you want him to go. Use your high happy voice, try to get him to walk around a bit. Same for rain and snow. Lots of praise for touchdown. Don't give up, this may take some time.
[notify]
Tucker Max- Small Paws

Tucker Max- Protection- Agency-Pres.

Barked: Fri Nov 6, '09 8:33am PST 
Maybe he is cold. Put a sweater on him and walk him. Don't just send him outside in the yard. He might need the reassurance of your presence. Usually something bad happened to them (might just have been a scare) that they remember about the dark. My mom's dog won't go out at night either, nor in the rain. He will also eliminate in the house. You might need to bribe him with a treat to get him out and to keep him out. Training treats given along the way might change his night-time experience to a pleasurable one.

Tucker-always up for a good walk!
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Nov 6, '09 8:41am PST 
I think this is simply a matter of standing your ground. Everything is still incredibly new and he's seeing what he can get away with. If I were you, when it gets dark leash him and walk him outside, stand there until he does his business, don't give him an option NOT to go, be a tree until he does and then praise like crazy. If I were you I'd be prepared to call his bluff and stand out there a couple of hours if need be. Once he sees not going is not an option it'll get easier and easier each time afterward.

At night crate him in a crate that is only big enough for him to turn around in an skip any bedding that will absorb any "on purpose" accidents he may have in there. Make sure you're not feeding him or offering water before bed to be sure you're not setting him up to fail in that regard.

Good luck!
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Fri Nov 6, '09 9:37am PST 
LOL
Gracie used to have this problem as well- at least when it was cold anyway.

I would put her out and she would practically flip herself backwards to get into the house.

I finally put her outside, closed the screen door so she couldn't come in and kept telling her to go potty. Gracie clung to the screen for a while. She knows what the word potty means. Finaly she realized that she wasn't getting to come back in till she at least peed a little bit.

I do put a coat on Gracie if it is cold out and shovel a spot for her in the snow, but she knows that she has to squeeze out at least a little urine if she is going to get to come back in.
[notify]
Barahona and- Blue- angels

my doxie angels

Barked: Sat Nov 7, '09 5:24pm PST 
ahhh dachshunds are soooo stubborn about that stuff !

Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2