GO!

I like to wonder.....

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Weezey

I really am that- doofy!!!

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 3:21pm PST 
whenever i get let outside, i take off. i run from everyone when they call me and they hafe to chase me. sometimes ill come back in when im called, but most of the time i just run around in all the neighbors yards. everyone at home is getting really tired of chasing me, and they worry when i run off and they cant see/find me... because of course i dont respond when they are yelling for me
can anyone relate?
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 5:54pm PST 
When my mommie and daddie lets me go off leash at a park, I sometimes run around and challenge mommie and daddie on a race (to initiate a race, I offer them my toy or a stick by dropping it really close to their feet, then pick it up and take off when they bend down to reach for it. It's like saying "come and get it!"). Apparently, doggies like to challenge their pack members on an agility race. Whoever wins is more dominant!

Mommie and daddie know that I run faster than they can. At the same time, they also know that they are "above" me in the pack, and losing to me can lead to relinquishing their power. They know that if they chased me, I'd understand that as them participating in a losing race. So they ignore me. They just stand there, and watch me as I run in circles. They turn the situation around by giving me a message that they're just above this whole race thing, and it's just amusing to watch me run. Although I have fun running, I return when they call me back, because I like the attention (it's better than them just staring at me).

My mommie never lets me off leash when I'm anywhere near a street. Even if there are no cars driving, you never know when a crazy driver might zoom past. Maybe your mom can walk you on a leash when you're walking through the neighborhood. It's dangerous.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 5:56pm PST 
I forgot to say this: Never chase your dog. Your dog will think that it's a game, and will run away faster.
[notify]

Weezey

I really am that- doofy!!!

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 6:22pm PST 
thanks, thats helpful. the only thing is were doing major landscaping and all the fences are down, so when i get to go potty i refuse to come inside, then when mommy walks towards me to bring me inside i run, and dont listen when she calls me. we dont live on a busy street or anything but i could eat something or someone could take me (im 5 months) and thats what worries mom. she doesnt want me roaming the neighborhood,
any ideas?
[notify]