GO!

Dog pees by bowl after eating!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mr. Peabody

Minister of- Mayhem

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 1:59pm PST 
I regularly take my pup for walks after he eats. Lately, when I feed him, I will go and do other things as I have a bit of gauge on how long it will take him, however, for the last 3 days...once he finishes eating and I come by the dining area where his stuff is set up (apartment) I find that he has peed by his bowl!

I usually watch him all the time but he just eats and just drops and pees!!

Has anyone had this issue?

He is currently on meds and I noticed that we have had a few accidents and that is understandable but it seems as though he just drops and does it after digesting his last morsel of food!
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 2:21pm PST 
Have you tried taking him out immediately before feeding him?
[notify]
Mr. Peabody

Minister of- Mayhem

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 3:31pm PST 
Good point! Usually I take him out before breakfast, lunch and dinner. But today, I came back around lunch let him do his thing and then waited, gave him lunch and then he left me a gift.

I guess I slipped up...gonna have to be vigilant even more!!!
[notify]

Mr. Peabody

Minister of- Mayhem

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 3:33pm PST 
thanks for the response!

Edited by author Mon Sep 28, '09 3:35pm PST

[notify]
✝ Angel- Tosha ✝

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 3:39pm PST 
What kind of medicine is he on?wave
[notify]
Mr. Peabody

Minister of- Mayhem

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 6:47pm PST 
Clavas-something...basically Amoxicillin and a cough-suppressant for Kennel Cough. 2nd round of the anti-biotic. First time for cough-suppressant.

Just ran him around the block for about an hour of walk, outdoor rest and then some play. Hopefully he got all the pee pee done. He's been to the bathroom alot, especially #1 for the last few days. Probably a good thing with the meds in the system?
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 7:09pm PST 
When Ollie was a young puppy, he sometimes did this, too. If you usually take your dog out after they eat, they come to associate eating with peeing. If you then stop letting your dog potty outside, but they have to go, and they are only 4 months old and so still new to this whole potty thing, they pee near their bowl since they associate eating with peeing.

Try taking yoru dog out as soon as they are done eating. That should resolve the problem. Once your dog is more reliably housetrained and is old enough to hold their pee a bit longer, then you can see if this problem resurfaces by waiting longer and longer times after eating to let your dog to potty.
[notify]
Mr. Peabody

Minister of- Mayhem

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 11:49pm PST 
Thanks so much! I was thinking the same thing, too! He definitely goes out and pees but I think you are onto something here! I just need to be vigilant and watch him finish the food instead of his usual 20-30 minutes after eating then going out to pee! He's ready after the last gulp!

I thought it bizarre that he would definitely do it near his bowls! Literally right next to them! Man, I don't have enough pet stain remover, my carpeting is starting to look like white pot holes! party

Thanks again, everybody!
[notify]