GO!

Can dogs feelings be hurt?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 10:11am PST 
My in laws ( aka Princess's former owners) were just here. Of course she was all excited to see them but MIL made her get off of her because she was shedding all over her and FIL wouldnt even let her up on him. She went under his chair , and jsut came out for a quick pet from him . I dont know if I am projecting, but she really seemed like her feelings were hurt. She sat in the hall with sad eyes and then came and sat by me until they left. Was this just me feeling bad for her or do think she felt rejected?
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 11:00am PST 
Aww poor Princess. I think dogs are capable of feeling hurt or sadness definately. Why else would we see depressed dogs when they're in a sheltor? I'm sure she remembers her first parents and was happy to see them. Very rude their behavior. Give Princess extra cuddles today and a gentle hug and slobber from the big Kahuna.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 1:11pm PST 
Sanka seems a bit depressed because of his surgery. I give him treats and try to get him doing some of the things he had enjoyed doing before, but he'd rather just lay down.

I think because he's not capable of doing the things he loved at full speed makes him kind of sad. I won't let him sniff or hunt in the shed because I don't want his ear (what the surgery was for) to get infected. I don't rollerblade with him because the bouncing movement of running hurts him and could mess with the stitches. I will only go so far on walks because when he gets excited, he starts shaking his head, which again messes with the stitches.
[notify]

Jimi (Jimi- Hendrix) RIP

Can we play ball- now?

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 1:21pm PST 
Yes dogs feelings can be hurt-some more easily than others. My Jimi is a sweet sensitive guy. Gentle training and soft words are better for him. Dogs can sense when a human doesn't want them around. I'm sure Princess was upset and confused at your in-law's behavior. It's not her fault if she sheds-she's a dog!
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 1:58pm PST 
Of course dogs can have hurt feelings. If they can feel jealousy (I love that study), they can have hurt feelings.

On the other hand, Princess can forgive them because she has such a great life with you. She says, "Grandma and Grandpa can visit, but I'm staying here!"
[notify]
Buddy and Sadie

We are Brother- and Sister!

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 2:15pm PST 
One time playing ball with Buddy and Sadie, Buddy decided not to catch a little football and it hit him lightly on his side. I laughed and told him he was a goofball! He looked at me like he was insulted, and wouldn't let me throw a tennis ball to him (which he loves) for a few months! He just last month started enjoying catching tennis balls again!! dog
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 3:57pm PST 
Absolutley they can have hurt feelings. Everyone is familiar with the challenges I have had with Jet. On the rare occasions I totally lost it (2 or 3 in 3 years) I yelled or screamed at in out of shear horror of what he had subjected me too. He pulled me in front of 2 speeding cars and nearly killed me. Afterward, he stuck to my side like glue and nothing distracted him from staring at me. We walked about a mile and once inside our home he continued at my side staring at me like "Mom, what I do wrong?" He even responds to facial expressions, like a smile or a frown.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 5:34pm PST 
laugh out loud Dog, yes!! When I accidently use Dahlia as a "speed bump", she is quite offended. Inside that dog is a little Jewish Mother adept at making me feel guilty....... confused
[notify]
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 6:09pm PST 
I know they can grieve......

About 8 years ago, when I had to put down my old dog Copper - now there was a creature who had it all - smile - his mate, Viper mourned for weeks. He was the only dog she was ever civil to, and she was never the same after he died. She followed him almost a year to the day of his death.

Here's to you, Copper & Viper (raising a glass) - I still miss you every single day.
[notify]
Ava

Raff! Grrraff!

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 6:20pm PST 
Most definitely. I remember when I was a little kid and we found a roaming Whippet. We kept her with us for what felt like a couple months (I can't remember how long it really was) and she and I bonded closely.

Finally her owner responded to the "found dog" sign and was able to prove that she was his dog. I was so upset I didn't even want to look at her on the last day, and she knew it. I remember her curled on the couch, looking at me with these eyes like "What did I do? Please say you still love me."

Ava's feelings are easily hurt too. She always knows when I'm mad at her, and if she's not avoiding me in her crate, she's doing everything she can to appease me. The last time I got mad at her she slinked up to me and wagged. I could almost hear her saying "Please don't be mad." I went to bed that night feeling horrible for being mad at such a sweet puppy.

Edited by author Mon Sep 7, '09 6:26pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2