GO!

the joys of sitting upon humans

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Zoe

professional - exfoliator

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 11:10am PST 
What's a happy dog? A happy dog is a dog that is sitting on a human. I like it so much, I will position myself in front of one and back up so I can literally place my butt down and sit in their lap (no small feat at 60lbs). I will sit, lay or stand on top of any willing human for as long as they will tolerate me.
My mom wants to know if she should let me do this! She enjoys cuddling with me like this, but has read that this might mean I am taking advantage of her and not respecting her as the house 'leader'. Mom can't tell if this is a reflection of my unflagging adoration, or if I be a little bit of a social climber with an agenda (and I aint telling which). We already break a lot of the 'dominance' rules in this house (I sleep in the bed, walk ahead on leash, get human food if I'm good, etc.). Do any of you have thoughts on the matter?
[notify]
Morgan

The Mighty- Labradorus--Rarr- !

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 2:38pm PST 
I'd like to know about this too, because I am curled up on mom's lap right now too.... which is my favoritest place to be during the day!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 6:21pm PST 
My mommie is afraid of that too. Because of that, she pushes me away and ignores me for whole 10 minutes if I ever jump on her or her furniture on my own. When she wants to hold me on her lap or cuddle with me on her bed, she taps her lap or the bed and says "come!"
[notify]

Sage

So Snootchy

Barked: Fri May 20, '05 7:38pm PST 
Hi Zoe, Morgan, and Snowy

I do the same thing. I love to cuddle and much prefer sleeping on Ma than sleeping in my bed, but I'm only 6kg so I get away with it most of the time. My Ma wondered the same thing about dominance, but I don't think I really show other signs of it. Just in case though, Ma ignores me once in a while, too. I can't jump on her unless called. And I never get called up if I'm begging and whining. Is it OK to admit I do that sometimes?

Pa is another story. He likes his computer more than he likes me, I think, so I don't even bother begging at him.

Zoe, you don't know how big you are! You'd better be careful not to squish your mamma out of adoration!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 12:13am PST 
Hi Sage. I like your sweater.
[notify]
Sara

Got Bread?

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 1:35am PST 
I agree with Snowy here, best to show them who's boss sometimes - not in a mean way, but firm so they know that you're in charge smile

The way you put it is so funny too - I can imagine 60 lbs of dog on your lap is a bit heavy lol
[notify]
Zoe

professional - exfoliator

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 8:44pm PST 
You guys are such spoilers! I had a good thing going and now mom thinks you're right. I've been hearing 'off' a lot more recently, and somehow she always notices - detects even my very bestest efforts to sneak onto her lap! (I thought maybe if I kept one paw on the ground it wouldn't count?! (you can see a photo of that tactic on my page)). Anyway, mom says thanks for the advice.
[notify]
Sara

Got Bread?

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 11:46pm PST 
Sorry Zoe, even I, the oh-so-cute Sara get told to 'get down' every so often...ahhh, these humans have no idea how hard us doggies have it sometimes eh? smile
[notify]