GO!

removing aggressive dog's teeth as a "solution"

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 8:35am PST 
Has anyone read this article? I was appalled.

Is Canine Disarming the Solution for Agressive Dogs?

Apparently, this was an american eskimo dog that Cesar Millon couldn't "rehabilitate".

They removed all the dog's teeth.

Am I in the wrong to think that aggressive dogs should be put to sleep to end the dog's suffering? (after all the behavior and medication has been tried)

What do you guys think of removing an aggressive dog's teeth? I mean obviously it's not going to help the behavior right?

Edited by author Fri Jul 31, '09 8:36am PST

[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 8:42am PST 
Dumb. It does save on vet/doctor bills. However, it does not help the dog to feel 'comfortable' in interactions... and it's STILL potentially going to traumatize my dog (or me) if it attacks, with or without teeth.

It does nothing to solve the aggression. It simply eases the physical effect of the aggression.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 8:45am PST 
Yeah I racked my brain thinking maybe behavior could change if the dog kept biting and got no reaction from it's victim, but I agree, dumb.
[notify]

Cody

Don't blame me,- I voted to take- a walk.

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 8:48am PST 
I call it abuse.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 8:58am PST 
Horrible. Talk about an expensive "band-aid". Sickening.
[notify]
Tia

Dogs are our- mirrors and our- teachers.

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 9:19am PST 
I couldn't get the link to work, but I've wondered about this on a personal level.

Yet, why would you need to remove "all" of a dog's teeth? Wouldn't removing the canines or even squaring them off and making them blunt serve the same purpose?

Sorry, but if it came down to this vs killing the dog, I don't see the problem.

"Kill the dog" should always be the last resort, IMO.
[notify]
Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi,- Lily &

Be the moose

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 9:24am PST 
They did NOT remove all the dogs teeth. They removed about 4mm of his canines and capped them. There is a difference and its only fair and right to discuss to the actual procedure that was performed which was not tooth removal.

Do I agree with it? Hard to say, haven't found enough research on the procedure to come to actual educated opinion and from what was said on another forum where this same dog was discussed a couple weeks ago, there is more research to be done (mostly on my part I think).

One of the posters on the other forum said they read/heard that disarmed dogs sometimes realize they can't inflict the type of damage they could before and "chill out". Not sure if that's true or not, I think its possible. Although based on watching dehorned cattle they still head butt other cows once their horns are gone. The sole purpose of dehorning a cow is to "disarm" them for the safety of their herd mates and human caretakers.

For now I have the same opinion of disarming as I do debarking and declawing cats. They are extreme procedures for the sole benefit of the humans. I wouldn't suggest them to anyone.

However in extreme cases where all other options have been given a valid go and the animal is at risk of losing its home or its life, then maybe the procedure is the better option.

In the case of Cotton perhaps the procedure will give the people more confidence where they were fearful before. Maybe that fear was what made their training attempts fail. Now with the confidence that Cotton can't do the damage he could before they can apply some b. mod. and improve the quality of life for all involved. Let's face it, in Cotton's situation re-homing was not an option.

Cotton can still bite, but chances are without the use of his canines for gripping he won't be able to do damage with his other flesh ripping teeth. If he were to escalate and start doing that, to me it would be more severe that grabbing you with his canines and causing a few punctures or even grabbing you with his canines and ripping flesh. At that point his owners should probably look at having him PTS.
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 9:29am PST 
They didn't remove any of the dogs teeth. Nielsen (the doc) used a laser to shave 4 millimeters off Cotton's sharp teeth. He then gave the trimmed teeth a soft finish with a human-grade composite. Think of it as doggy caps.

Here's the happy pooch, sans the pointy pearly offenders. Not gone just rounded. You can see the rest of his teeth.

the dog
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 9:46am PST 
Poor dog.
I highly doubt this will work, considering the owners have not addressed the behavioral problem. The article specifically mentions that the dog is still going after strangers. Hello people, MANAGE or TRAIN your dangerous dog. Why is it loose to attack people? If this is how they worked with trainers, I'm not surprised they failed at that attempt.

The Pet Connection Blog had an article on this. The comments afterwards are interesting.

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/07/23/disarmi ng-will-blunted-teeth-make-cotton-blend/
[notify]
In Loving- Memory of- Chance

The dog who- didn't stand a- chance

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 9:49am PST 
Rather they removed all his teeth or not, it's not a solution to the problem. If he attacks, he could still emotionally damage another dog (or human? do they specify rather he's human or dog aggressive?) and, even without sharp teeth, you'd be surprised the damage a dog can do when he picks something up and shakes it. confused
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9