GO!

Dog attacks his own leg

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Riley

Riley the- Wonderdog

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 6:18pm PST 
Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSToLWAwebA

I admit I laughed a little because at first it was amusing but then the dog really started going after his leg. Something has to be wrong if the dog doesn't realize that's his own leg.

Edited by author Fri May 22, '09 6:59pm PST

[notify]
Holly

google Marc- Emery!

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 6:27pm PST 
did you post this on Y!A? lol I just seen it, thought it was funny (concerning as well, somethings has to be wrong).

Why would a dog do that? He seriously looks mad that the paw is reaching (he spreads his toes and everything!) for the bone.
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 6:44pm PST 
Actually I believe it's a serious neurological disorder and it's really sad. I forget what it's called. it's rare.
[notify]

Riley

Riley the- Wonderdog

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 6:56pm PST 
haha Holly I actually did. I post on there from time to time but most people there are far from helpful.

Laila is there really a classification for what this is? I know there are all sorts of neurological problems a dog can have and I've seen many of them but I have never seen a dog become aggressive with itself like this before. It's definitely weird to see.
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 7:04pm PST 
All i remember is that the dog doesn't recognize its limb as its own.
[notify]
Holly

google Marc- Emery!

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 7:10pm PST 
I think this was on dog whisperer, they had a lab that would freak out and attack things when he was eating.

I don't eally like Cesar trianing but he seemed to have stopped the behavior by taking the food away, waiting for the lab to calm down, and then giving it to him. It was more indepth than that though. That dog was blind.
[notify]
Riley

Riley the- Wonderdog

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 7:10pm PST 
That is just so strange. It's hard to comprehend a dog, cat, person or whatever not recognizing their own body parts.
It makes me wonder if the dog was ever taken to the vet.
[notify]
Holly

google Marc- Emery!

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 7:23pm PST 
They probably didn't. Even though we most of us see a problem, I think the average owner would just think their dog was weird.
[notify]
Riley

Riley the- Wonderdog

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 7:54pm PST 
You're probably right. It's hard not to laugh at it because it's kind of an amusing thing to see, like a dog chasing and biting his own tail. If it was a one time thing then I would say laugh it up but if the owners are filming it then it obviously isn't a one time thing.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 10:58pm PST 
Humans have been known to fall out of bed because they didn't recognize the leg next to them was their own. They were trying to throw the 'strange leg' out of bed because it freaked them out that there was a 'strange leg' in bed with them. shock They end up throwing their own leg out of the bed -- along with the rest of their body!

One of those weird things that the brain can do! shock
[notify]