GO!

Proof of vaccinations for petsmart training

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ziggy

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 11:41am PST 
I need to know what they will accept as proof of vaccinations. Ziggy is supposed to be starting basic training classes at Petsmart this weekend. I have a paper and tag for proof of rabies shot, and also a canine health record that has been filled out by both the breeder and the vet and a paper stating when his next vaccinations are due in 2010. Can anyone tell me if they will accept this ?

I did call Petsmart to ask, but she basically just told me that if he needed any shots to go and get them and he would be ok.

Thanks in advance smile
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 11:51am PST 
To my knowledge most training/boarding places need the proof of vaccination paper from the vet. Most also require bordatella along with the rabies vaccine to be administered before a dog would attend/stay.
[notify]
Ziggy

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 12:02pm PST 
Well, he had the rabies shot by itself, but he has had the bordatella twice. He actually had five sets of puppy shots, the vet said some breeders start the shots too early, so the first set the vet gave him he counted as the third set again. I think I may just take the papers I have into the Petsmart where he will be training to ask so I can be 100% sure.

Edited by author Tue May 19, '09 12:06pm PST

[notify]

Charlie

Crazy Girl

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 2:21pm PST 
I think you should be fine with the papers you have. I'm pretty sure they accepted our vet receipts when we went through training there a year or so ago, but it might just depend on the trainer/management.
[notify]
Puddles

I broke the- Mold.

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 4:57pm PST 
Petsmart requires you to have if over 5 months your Rabies Distemper shots, and ask you get your Bortadella and Parvoinfluenza shots. Those are not required after 5 months.

If your starting begining and you have your Rabies Distempter your good.

But if your starting Puppy make sure you have BOTH sets of Puppy shots and proof from a VET they were given. We can NOT except the paper work from a Breeder as a Legit proof of the shots being given.

Good Luck on your training!!
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 11:33am PST 
When I took Bingley to Petsmart for training (it was a puppy class), they wanted to see something that showed all the vaccines he had at that point. The receipts from my vet listed everything he had and what he was due for. He wasn't old enough for rabies yet at that point, and they don't expect you to have something they aren't old enough for. There was one dog who didn't have the bordetella shot, and she told them to make sure to get that, and bring proof of the shot next time, but did not make them leave because of it.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 11:36am PST 
The paperwork you filled out prior to signing up for a class (you should have recieved the pink copy) will tell you all the vaccinations that are required for puppy class on the back. way to go
[notify]
Ziggy

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 12:42pm PST 
I went to Petsmart yesterday to ask them what they needed exactly, and to show them what I had & they said they would not accept it. All of the papers except the canine health record were straight from the vet's office. After leaving Petsmart I called my vet's office and asked if I could have a paper from them for proof of vaccination to take back to Petsmart.

The paper the vet gave me yesterday night states exactly what one of the other papers I already took in did- one which they said means nothing. It says he is due for DHLPP-C annual shot on 03/06/10, due for Bronchocine annual on 03/06/10, and due for Rabies annual on 04/07/10.

In total for all of his shots since birth, he has had:
Distemper x4
Adenovirus x5
Parainfluenza x5
Parvovirus x5
Coronavirus x2
Bordatella x2
Rabies x1

The breeder had given him 3 sets of puppy shots when we got him. The vet said that some breeders start the shots too soon and gave the "3'rd" set again, and then 3 weeks later gave him the last set. I took him back to the vet for the rabies shot 2 days before he was 5 months old.

The only paperwork I will ever have listing ALL of these shots is the canine health record, which Petsmart said means nothing. I guess I could understand that because it's just a paper anyone could write in. However, it is what we have taken with us to the vet's office and he has filled in.

Anywhoo smile The vet has not given him all of his shots, the breeder gave the first couple sets and the only proof I have of that is the canine health record, which is not acceptable at Petsmart.

Sorry to bother you guys with this. He does well with training and learns easily, but I thought it would be nice to be around the other people and dogs who were trying to learn. He is very well socialized though and has no issues there, he loves everyone and everything
laugh out loud I think I may just continue his training like I have been doing. You guys definitely give out some great tips. Thanks for all your help smile
[notify]
Puddles

I broke the- Mold.

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 12:42pm PST 
Thats right Gunner the pink copy does tell you pretty much everything you'll need for class!
[notify]
Kate

Zoom Zoom

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 12:49pm PST 
We are just finishing up our petsmart classes.

I brought proof of their rabies vacc, through a certificate and also their tags.

I give my own shots, so I asked them whyat I needed to do for this and all I did was make a photocopy of the wrapper the shot came in and put the date on it(as I do for their records anyway.)

They said this was fine.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2