GO!

Housebreaking

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Wed May 13, '09 4:33pm PST 
I see many questions on housebreaking. I have extensive, successful experience, but can't explain what has worked for me with many puppies in 1000 characters.

Much of housebreaking is not training the puppy, but making it easier for your puppy, you, and your carpet while its body to catches up to its instincts. At around 8 weeks when the puppy goes to its new home, the time from when it realizes it has to go, and when it can't wait any longer is a matter of seconds. Only time will fix that. You can hardly be expected to be attentive enough to avoid all accidents. There is no sense punishing the puppy for your inattention. It is not fair to punish you either, but you still have to clean it up if you didn't have the puppy outside in time.

Housebreaking starts before you get home with the new puppy. If you don't have a crate, buy one. I prefer the more enclosed, den like plastic ones. Skip the bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking hazards. A wire grid in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but expensive and hard to find. A piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. I am now using a plastic vegetable bin with plenty of holes drilled in the bottom. It helps block off part of the crate for the smaller puppy. If you already have a metal crate, covering it may help. Just make sure you use something the puppy can't pull in and chew. Dogs that start out in crates as little puppies, accept them very well. Never leave an unattended puppy loose in the house. If nobody can watch it, put it in the crate. I suggest letting the dog have its crate all its life. A crate needs to be just big enough for a dog to stretch out in.

Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays, the less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it to the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. Sometimes you need to walk it around to stimulate its body to eliminate. If it does anything, praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it, and maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it, but it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine. Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, try walking around to stimulate the body to eliminate. They can only walk and hold it so long. If that still doesn't work, take it back inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the house until it does go.

At first it is your responsibility to know and take the puppy out when it needs to go. It needs to go out the first thing in the morning, after eating, drinking, and sleeping. If it quits playing, and starts running around sniffing, it is looking for a place to go. Take it out quickly. You will just have to be what I call puppy broke until it is a little older. How successful you are depends on how attentive you are.

By the time most dogs are about 3 months old, they have figured out that if they go to the door and stand, you will let them out. The praise slowly shifts to going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it even gets near the door. When you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out. Clean up accidents promptly. I mostly keep the little puppies out of the carpeted rooms. Still I need the can of carpet foam sometimes. First blot up all the urine you can with a dry towel. Keep moving it and stepping on it until a fresh area stays dry. A couple big putty knives work well on bowel movements. Just slide one under it while holding it with the other. This gets it up with a minimum of pushing it down into the carpet. This works with even relatively soft ones, vomit, dirt from over turned house plants, or anything else from solids to thick liquids. Finish up with a good shot of carpet foam. Note, do not let the puppy lick up the carpet foam. Once the dog is reliably housebroken, your carpet may need a good steam cleaning.

Many people strongly strongly push cleaning up all evidence of past accidents. I am slower to suggest that. Dogs will return to the same spot if they can find it. When you see one sniffing the spot, that is your clue to run it out.

This can be applied to older dogs too. Biggest difference is the longer time after eating or drinking before they are ready to relieve themselves. If a dog has been living where it could keep its living space clean, it should quickly catch on. The important part will be teaching it that if it goes to the door, you will let it out. It will be much more difficult if the dog was forced to live in its filth. You will need to learn to read the dog and learn its schedule, and when it needs to go out. Keep it in sight, closing doors and setting up gates. Some people even leash the dog to themselves. I have used a tie down at my computer desk.
[notify]
Lexie

Barked: Thu Jul 16, '09 7:36pm PST 
Those are great suggestions and basically how I house train my doxies--I stay right with them OR they have to go in the crate until they are trust worthy. I think a few accidents are just to be expected. Once mine are trained they are so faithful about going outside and keeping the house clean! They would stand at the door with their little legs crossed if they had to! It HAS been helpful that my puppy has an older sister and she observes her "going" and she realize that is the correct place to go I use a folded towel in Lexie's crate--we did have one accident one night early on in the crate and it was easy to take out and wash, and I routinely take it out and wash it just to keep it clean...most Doxie mommys know how they love and seek comfort and warmth, so I use the easy to wash. Have faith and your dog WILL be house broken soon...the gates in the kitchen worked real well for me, everybody hates stepping over them but it was the best thing for Lexie and me.
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 9:27am PST 
Doxies are know for being difficult. It sounds like done right, no problem.
[notify]

Vista

Like the- Computer- Operating System

Barked: Wed Aug 26, '09 3:52am PST 
Everyone says crates. I don't like crates., and choose to use a close alternative: ex-pens. My puppy is in a pen, on a rubber mat. So that is another option for you.
[notify]
♥- Copper- ♥

Where's Todd?

Barked: Tue Oct 27, '09 1:18pm PST 
I just asked the question about how to housebreak an 8 week old Basset Hound and glad you sent me this link. There were a couple of things that I could relate too in this and one was a hawk. A few days ago, I took Copper outside to potty and 2 hawks were flying over our backyard. Thank goodness I didn't turn him out by himself.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 3, '14 1:38pm PST 
If you do happen to read this.. i have two baby doxies. Brother and sister. they just turned 3 months. They hardly go inside the house, we watch them often, however the crate is another issue. They wont poo inside their crate, but they tend to urinate and then what seems like they play in the urine. They went two days last weeks w/out peeing in the crate and then went right back to peeing and playing. i cant put a puppy pad or anything in the crate cause the girl will just rip it up. ANY advice it nice.
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 5, '14 2:24pm PST 
How long are they staying in the crate without a break? At three months they cannot go more than three hours without a trip outside to urinate. They have not got enough bladder control for any longer than that, it takes time for that to develop.
The general rule of thumb one hour for each month of age, plus one, which would actually be four hours, but I know with my three month old pups, they cannot go longer than three months without being put outside.
[notify]