GO!

Dog barks everytime I sit on the couch! Headache!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Stormy

Stormy-get out- of the way of- this storm!

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 6:22pm PST 
Has anyone ever had this strange problem. Lately everytime I sit on the couch, chair, etc. in the living room my dog barks at me and will not stop. She has a loud, irritating bark that I cannot ignore. I have tried putting her outside on her run or in her crate when she does it, but no help. She never gets positive attention for it. She does not do this at night. Getting up and walking away doesn't work either. http://www.dogster.com/forums/post.php# Any positive advice would help!
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 9:16am PST 
How much exercise is she getting?

Sounds like she's doing it for attention. What are you doing when you sit down? Watching TV? Reading? Not paying attention to her? wink

Does she know the "Down" command? Or "Leave It"? Whenever Nallah gets fussy or is trying to get my attention I tell her to lay down-she usually gets the point that she has to lay down and be quiet until I am finished with what I'm doing.

Make sure she's getting plenty of exercise-it could be that she's bored.
[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 10:11am PST 
we have a yellow lab that barks whenever we are on the phone-and it is that annoying, makes you want to kill him bark.

he is 12 and so we just go to another room to talk on the phone because he doesn't learn anything easily, but watching cesar and victoria, I have some suggestions.

get some really good treats, like special ones. Every time you sit down on a piece of furniture that she normally barks at, tell her to sit and give her a treat. do this repeatedly and on every piece of furniture.

we also just talked about this in my psych class. the furniture has become a conditioned stimulus, causing a conditioned response (barking).

You can change how your dog feels about the furniture by giving treats when you are sitting on it-then hopefully relating you sitting on furniture with good things, and no more barking.

Its worth a shot!big grin and it might just take ten minutes, or it might take a few days, but good luck!
[notify]

Nari

Faithful Angel

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 10:33am PST 
To me it sounds like your dog is lacking exercise and is barking at you to try and get more attention, as Nallah said. Most dogs, especially working, herding, and sporting breeds suchs as Labs and Shepherds, require at least forty five minutes of vigorous exercise on a daily basis. Start taking her on a morning jog or take her to the park and play fetch for an hour. Let her be a dog and let her get out some frustration in the form of exercise.

Mental exercise, as well as physical exercise, is also important! When you sit down on the couch, give your dog something to do. Give her a KONG toy stuffed with peanut butter and kibble or practice some basic obedience commands without getting up (be sure to reward her with a tasty treat every time she gets a command right!).

A tired dog is a happy dog, and I guarantee that with more exercise, attention, and training- your dog will be better behaved.
[notify]
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 11:36am PST 
Earplugs, Bully Sticks and exercise wink

Bo used to do this bad and he is loud. It started because my brother in law thought it was cute when Bo was a puppy. At first he only did it with him but soon it was everyone. He would only do it at night when the family was winding down.
Here is what I did and it helped so much. Instead of petting him ( I know you don't) we would ignore him until he stopped, sometimes that took 10 minutes. Here is where the ear plugs came in. Once he stopped we would pet him. I also increased his evening walks or exercise, not too much he is lazy. A tired Bo is a quiet Bo.
Now when he does it, maybe three times a month. I know he actually needs something like some exercise mental or physical. If that doesn't work and he is just sassy he gets a Bully Stick.
Good luck, I know how annoying that is. I went through some serious aspirin..
[notify]
Stormy

Stormy-get out- of the way of- this storm!

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '09 7:29pm PST 
I'm sure you are right with the exercise. She definitely thinks of me as playmate of the day. We run and run and run some days and others not so much. It is hard to play when you're frozen. I can't wait for winter to be over. I think I may try our treadmill, if she isn't scared of it.
[notify]