GO!

"A dog can only have one master..."

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:14pm PST 
So that silly commercial for "Marley & Me" has been playing like crazy. There's the one scene they keep playing where they take Marley to the trainer and she says to Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson "A dog can only have one master. Which one of you has the most athority in your relationship" and Owen Wilson walks away.

This line has been stuck in my head for a couple of days. "A dog can only have one master." What do you think of it?
[notify]
Mindy, CGC,- KPETS

SpeedRacer

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:25pm PST 
Pffft...Rubbish to me...there are one-person dogs who really only respond well to that "one" person, but many dogs are one-family dogs or "everybody" dogslaugh out loud . It depends more on the dog and the personality. Yes, the people need to train the dog, but definitely not just one...hmph....hope my husband didn't see that commercial..that'd be his excuse!laugh out loud
[notify]
Rally Pood

Hand over the- treats'n nobody- gets hurt!

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:28pm PST 
You'll have to see the movie. That "trainer" was nuts and rambled off a bunch of stuff that wasn't accurate at all whatsoever. I don't consider myself "master" of my dogs, and I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean. I know I'm not the only one who can train them, cue them to perform, treat them, walk them, feed them, etc.
[notify]

Sport

Third home's the- charm!

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:30pm PST 
That's silly. Even scaredy cat Sport will obey anyone with food. He responds best to me because I work with him the most, and sleep with him and feed him... but at my parent's house I could drop dead and Sport wouldn't notice because he would be sitting at my mom's feet waiting for scraps.

In all seriousness, I think that it is very important for every member of the family to participate in the training and care of the dog. It is vital for the dog to be bonded to every member of the family from the head of the household, to the smallest child. This isn't due to rank or respect, but rather being a part of a family. Plus, training is fun and your dog should respond to every person in the family. Especially on a recall.
[notify]
Chipper

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:32pm PST 
Pood, I kinda guessed that from the commercial and the book. She definately looks crazy! laugh out loud

As a person who has been trying to learn canine behavior and learning, it doesn't make sense to me that a dog can only have one "master". However, as the owner of a Chow mix....well....I am his one "master". laugh out loud
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:32pm PST 
Some dogs I would say definitely, but other dogs no. Miss is definitely a Mama's girl, for example, but she will listen to whomever has treats.

Kristy, on the other hand, loves everyone. Who's her master? Whoever has pets to give!
Bilbo NAP- NJP CGC

All the virtue- of men without- his vices

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:58pm PST 
First, I’ll address the trainer.

She was crazy. I pity the people in the background who actually stayed with her classes; their dogs must be having issues. I am 13 years old and could handle a dog better then she did, I could tell that (in the movie) she was easily frustrated and, if she was like that in real life, that is no good for the dogs. I’m not saying you can’t get upset, but you’ve got to be able to control yourself.

Now, on that a dog can only have one master deal. I agree for some dogs. There are dogs out there that would rather die then listen to two people and some are content pleasing everybody around them. But, I think a dog should have one main trainer, unless both the trainers agree on which methods to use. Otherwise, poor doggy will soon become confused.

For example, my family and I cannot agree on how to train Bilbo. Since I care for him, I am ‘head trainer’. Bilbo, also, doesn’t enjoy listening to other people, but he’s a Beagle. He’s food motivated- which is good for all those other poor souls who dare tell him to come. BOL!

Farts and Hearts,
Bilbo and Vanessa

P.S- Somebody may complain about a dog having one trainer. That they may not listen to other people. Wouldn't it also be the trainer's job to teach the dog to listen to others?

I've got to, kind of, work on that. xD
[notify]
Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi,- Lily &

Be the moose

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 6:21pm PST 
For the most part I think that's silly.

Although Bindi is clearly my dog, she'll do a few things for the kids once in awhile, and on occassion come for the bf. But really when the day is over she'd be happier if it was just the two of us.

Now Max on the other hand. He responds better to me simply because I work with him the most. But really he loves everyone and will put effort into trying to do what they ask. If you're able to pet him, or have food, he's your best bud, who cares where 'mommy' is. LOL
[notify]
Chipper

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 6:24pm PST 
Taboo Crew, Chipper is pretty much the same as Bindi. He would be much happier if it were just me and him. BF tries and tries to work with him and they have come very, very far, but I am clearly "the chosen one".
[notify]
Cassie

Sometimes one- eye is better- than two!

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 6:56pm PST 
I disagree totally! I personally believe that a dog should obey all members of it's family. I do however believe that dogs will usually bond with and therefore respect one member of the family a little more than the others.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3