GO!

My dog poops on my bed!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Bully

Watch Out!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 6:00pm PST 
If i leave my bedroom door open my nine month old pit poops on my bedred face it drives me mad!

Edited by moderator Wed Dec 17, '08 6:21pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 6:55pm PST 
What you see a bed, he sees a toilet - simple as that.

He thinks it is an appropriate place to "go", you need to politely explain to him that you would rather he "go" outside. Every. Time.

Gross, yeah, oh course, but no need to get mad at him or rehome him over something like this - it is just a simple misunderstanding.

Is he housebroken? How have you trained him, if so?
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 7:30pm PST 
Oh heavens. Does your dog have opposable thumbs? Shut the door. You could start there wink
[notify]

Molly

Let's play!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 9:28pm PST 
Close the door. If you don't want to do that put up a baby gate. He might be going there because it's some distance away from where you and he spends most of your time. Dogs will try to get as far as practical from where they spend most of their time when they go. There could also be some left over scent. He may have had an accident at one time and now can still smell where he went then. Dogs have noses many times better than humans. Even though you can't smell it he probably can. Another possibility if he's been scolded for pooing someplace he may just be trying to hide when he goes. Dogs don't really understand being scolded for going to the bathroom.

Clean up any spots where he went with a good enzymatic cleaner. Keep him out of the bedroom for now and maybe take him out to potty a little more often. Give lots of praise when he does go outside and don't scold for accidents. It also helps to take him to the same place outside for every bathroom break. That will establish the scent there in that part of the yard as the place to go potty.

What I did whenever Molly had an accident inside was clean up the mess then take her and it outside to her "potty spot". I'd put the mess there so she got the idea that was the place to go.

Also remember that he is young. While he's a little on the older side he's still young enough for him to not be fully house trained yet. I've heard of dogs a year old and sometimes older still having the occasional accident in the house. Just keep practicing good house training and give him time.
[notify]
Dolly - RIP Old Lady

Old Dogs Are The- Best Dogs

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 10:28pm PST 
Bully, your page is a bit strange...it has you listed as a German Shepherd...and it says you are a service dog? It would be awful if you had to rehome your service dog over something like pooping on the bed...
[notify]
In Loving- Memory of- Chance

The dog who- didn't stand a- chance

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 10:33pm PST 
Bully doens't look like a German shepherd. thinking

Anyway, I'd say close the door.
[notify]
Kane

I'll do anything- for a Kong

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 4:44am PST 
I don't know how long you've had Bully, but have you started potty training and crate training?
If he hasn't been properly trained, it's unfair to rehome him.
Training is relatively easy if your consistant and patient.
A good training site for bully breeds is pitbullforum.com. Come on over and take a look.
[notify]
Charley "R.I.P My Boy"

I'm a Lover, not- a fighter

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 9:31am PST 
Is this your only reason to rehome your pit? I'd give anything to have mine back. Why don't you close the door so he cant get in there. He's only 9 months old. You need to take control of him now if you don't want future problems worse then pooping on your bed. It sounds like you're just looking for a reason to get rid of him. Maybe you should while he's still young so the next owner can start training him before he gets settled in his own ways and makes it even harder.
[notify]