GO!

How do you feel about dogs chasing laser pointers?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Yoopie- (U.P.)

Cutest Ugly- Puppy Ever

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 6:45pm PST 
Our laser light always takes the same path (from livingroom, through kitchen, into hallway and back) so our guys don't even follow it anymore... they use it as an excuse to run back and forth like they have the crazies. I can run it on a different path and they don't follow it... just keep going on the same path. I've never had either (Iggy/colllie and lab/greyhound) obsess over it.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 11:20pm PST 
I play with a laser pointer with my cats. When I want to stop I always make the light look like it is going under something or turn it off when they put their paw on it so they think it either got away or they caught it. That seems to help them to not keep searching for it once it's gone although I really only have one cat who might keep looking, the rest usually give up chasing it sooner so they don't care that much. It is the same cat who also likes to chase lights and shadows, but she did that before I ever had a laser so it wasn't caused by that (and she doesn't do it obsessively as in constantly or for long periods.)

As for dogs, Bianca showed some mild interest in the laser the first few times I was playing with it with the cats, but I told her to 'leave it' because I did not want her and the cats chasing it at the same time, so now she just ignores it because she knows it is off-limits just like the other kitty toys are.

I don't use it for the cats that often though, the fishing pole type toys are more fun and I always misplace the laser anyway so I can hardly ever find it when I want to use it.

Edited by author Sun May 15, '11 11:23pm PST

[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 5:32am PST 
Paris will chase a laser pointer for a little bit, but since she can't physically catch and *kill* it she loses interest pretty quickly.

Nicky couldn't care less about a laser pointer. I could probably only use it for targeting with him.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 11:53am PST 
Please please please do not encourage you dogs to chase lasers or shadows! I work with the result daily, dogs obsessing over any light due to being encouraged to chase lasers! Your dog will eventually go mad, then you will call an organisation like mine, it is hard to fix once the damage is done and usually ends up in the dog being put to sleep, the reason we believe they go mad is the lack of catch after the chase, I have seen dogs go so mad they actually fit when they see shadows or lights! So instead get your walking boots on and help you and your dog stay healthy.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 11:59am PST 
Zombie thread with equally brainless resurrecting post. Go figure.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 10:57pm PST 
laugh out loud

My dog doesn't ever make a kill when he hunts rabbits, he hasn't gone mad yet. thinking
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 8:34am PST 
I thought this this thread seemed familiar!

But I would be very wary about using the laser pointer. Two of my friends tried it with their dogs (pug/beagle mix and Cav/poodle mix) and they BOTH became so obsessive the laser has been banned and STILL the dogs will sometimes whine at the places they kept the laser pointers. And this is months/ years since playing with it.

I tried it with Lupi when she was much younger and she chased but wasn't too obsessed with it, but her prey drive is a lot higher now so I think she could become neurotic over it if I used it now.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 4:29pm PST 
I'm new to the forum... and new to this discussion.. we just had a VERY recent experience with a laser pointer and our dog (a boxer/hound mix) Max. We took him to the dog park in our area.. and normally he is VERY well behaved and very docile. We also had been playing with him with a laser pointer about a week ago... and as funny to watch at home as it is... the result tonight was very disappointing and very disheartening. While he was off his leash, he picked a fight with another dog and actually brought blood, and also he HAS been fixed and his penis was erect and wanting to mount the females around the area. We are now getting rid of the laser pointer.. he is no longer allowed to play with it. We're going to wait about a month to see if the aggression goes away OR if it is worse. I really hate to think what damage this has caused our dog
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:22pm PST 
Guest... You're seriously relating your dogs aggression issues to playing with a laser with him a week PRIOR to his aggressive tendencies? I could understand relating it to obsession with shadows/lights, or searching for it obsessively, but... to relate it to dog/dog aggression and just plain rude behavior at the dog park? I'm sorry, but that's BULL in my opinion and your dog simply needs some good ol' fashioned socialization and proper training.

How do you relate a laser pointer a week ago... to picking a fight with another dog and drawing blood?! Either the other dog did something to provoke your dog and it went unseen by you, or your dog has been building up to these aggressive tendencies prior to this incident and you didn't see the warning signs.

Mounting can be a behavioral form of stress relief, or even play, and can be done when the dog is overly excited.

Neither of these have anything to do with lasers and connecting behavior.

Please consult a behaviorist about your dogs sudden aggression issues, get him Vet checked(sudden aggression can be caused by medical issues), and please do not take him to the dog park again until you have his behavior under control.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:36pm PST 
OMG..the zombie thread that will not die. It is almost 5 years old. people. laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4