GO!

Has anyone else's dog acted like this while on prescribed steroids for skin?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 7:26pm PST 
Because of Daddy's skin allergy, his vet had us put him on steroids. Ever since he started them about a week ago he's been a totally different dog, the complete opposite of what he normally is, and a royal pain. It's like having a rebellious teenager in the household; all he's interested in is rough-housing, drinking, eating, and humping other members of his species. He's also had at least one accident in the house since he started, the vet warned us they would make him have to pee more, but no matter how much he gets let out he's still had at LEAST one pee in the house...I mean, he'll just be standing there or playing, and all of a sudden, there it goes. He's also been really pushy, especially with his toy, demanding that people play with it and being a jerk if they don't appreciate his pushiness and ignore him, and if you DO try to take it he grabs down hard onto it to try to make it so it can't be taken, or flat out hides it from the person trying to get it. He's had possession problems in the past (no aggression, but he hides toys so people can't get them), but he's been so bad on the medication that he'll actually FORCE it into someone's back or leg or hand so hard it hurts, shoving it right into you. And no matter what we do, ignore or try to correct the behavior, he'll stop for a second then go back to it. He's also so distant from everyone here that the only thing he'll do is play with you, he won't even cuddle with me like normal or even sleep on my bed, ever since the steroids he's been uber independant. I can't wait for him to be done with these things.

Has anyone else's dog been prescribed steroids for a skin condition and acted similarly?

Edited by author Wed Sep 10, '08 7:27pm PST

[notify]
Firefly

Lighting up my- mom's heart....

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 7:41pm PST 
Firefly is on, well, I can't read it. My vet wrote it on the bottle and his hand writing basically sucks...big laugh

But Firefly has been having a few 'quirks' herself. She recovered from her FAD and Seasonal Fall allergies, and is still taking some medicine for it. I think it is a steroid/cortisone type thing. Basically a steroid.

Firefly gets really impatient and testy, and her appetite also increases, she has gained 2.4 lbs. I'm sure!

She acts really aloof, then really rebellious. She sometimes develops 'selective hearing' when she is rough housing with the cat, and it takes a second recall to get her to come to me.

Maybe it is a reaction to the steroids..Fly never acts like that unless she is on allergy meds....thinking
[notify]
Romeo

Old fart...but- young at heart!

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 8:30pm PST 
Romeo was the same way. He had to take Prednisone about 3 years ago. He drank more and as a result peed more. He was testier than usual (mainly with the other pups). It wore off once the meds were out of his system.

Now that I think of it, I got a little goofy when I had to take Prednisone for a bad case of poison Ivy the year before last. The stuff made me a little loopy and thirsty. I also had to take it when I had my wisdom teeth removed too (helps to keep swelling down). Same thing.
[notify]

Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 9:18pm PST 
Cherry was on mega doses of Prednisone for 6 very long months while fighting IMHA. She would try to eat gum stuck to the sidewalks while on walks, trash night we couldn't walk around the neighborhood. I wrestled her to the ground one night when some other animal had gotten into someone's trash, she had a pork bone in her mouth and was not letting it go.

Drinking all the time and going out all the time. We took turns who would get up each night to let her out.

She wasn't really aggressive, but open the fridge door and she would literally drool. It wasn't hard to get her to take the millions pills she was on, since all she wanted to do was eat and drink.

The side effects go away when you are done with the pills. Hang in there!

Edited by author Wed Sep 10, '08 9:20pm PST

[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 3:44am PST 
Ash gets fall skin allergies and we have a strict no steroids rule with him. Remember, Ash is a reformed biter and his issues were much worse while taking steroids.

There are alternatives. They are not as fast, but they are there.

The pug takes Pred for a collapsed trachea and it has caused a behavioral change in her as well. In her case, I do not feel comfortable looking for alternatives.
[notify]
Sadie - Forever- Loved

Chocolate is- just another- word for Love

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 4:24am PST 
These are completely normal and expected side effects of the drug (and the higher the dose, the more pronounced the side effects). In humans, there's even a thing they call "steroid psychosis" that occurs when high doses are given for prolonged periods. And yes, the side effects subside within a few days of stopping the drug. As previously said, hang in there!
[notify]
Bailey

Poo is yummy!

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 6:34am PST 
Sam on steroids: urinating buckets of urine every half hour in the house. It was killing him to do it, he hated messing in the house. He was so upset by it, it broke my heart.

Bailey on steroids:HUGE appetite. Biting at us. Horrible attitude and just a totally different dog.

Never will I use them again, it was so bad.
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 6:39am PST 
My friend's Basset is on steriods for skin allergies too.

He is way more hungry and thirsty, and he has been HUMPING a lot since. BOL. He is fixed since forever (he is 5 or 6 years old now), but when he humps, he gets an erection (a lot of dogs don't get one when they hump and I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the steroids in his case?).

I think my friend told me it changed his behavior in other ways too but i can't remeber now. I will check.

(a little info for those who think humping is always (or ever) about dominance!!!)
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 6:49pm PST 
Yes,prednisone is a strong drug and it has had definate adverse effects on Darla and the humans of the house as well confused She had had bad allergies flare up and consequences of them(Chewing to cause sores,etc). She gets very kooky acting, puppy type snippy and had accidents in house , "bloating up" severely on her last round of them . She once ran out the door and down the street acting like a fun seeking crazed furball,snoopy. This is something she would never do in her regular behavior,scared the sheep out of us. puppy Keep close watch to avoid any booboos from the crazies.smile

Several anti histamines have got her wacky as well. cry
With the pred induced bloating, She literally couldnt walk up/down the steps. cry Her tummy was so swollen and with her short legs not good frown.I called her vet and off she came from it and none given since. I would let your vet know for sure ,as effects vary from Dog to dog or might have something easier for you to tolerate.way to go It is good to have them know and have on record. If you can find alternitives that help I would go for it. Darlas diet change did help her as well. Good luck, feel better and it does get better off it. dog Do other pups see this just plain kookiness with/without allergy flares more at certain times of year?shrug
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 8:43pm PST 
Alright well at least the behavior is "normal"; I think it is the Prednisone that he's on. He's been a bit better since he's taking one less pill a day, who would've known just that one extra pill would make so much of a difference? Thankfully he hasn't been aggressive or testy, which is what I was afraid of since the vet warned one patient of hers became nasty with children when they started on steroids.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2