GO!

Old dog new tricks ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 10:45am PST 
Hi Can anyone tell me how to teach my Mastiff Bo to walk up stairs ? We tried before when we moved in and Bo was 5 months old. Annie our oldest had no problems with it, she just wants to be wherever we are. We have tried everything that we think of. We have put cheese on each step, snacks, we even sit on the bottom three and try to motivate him. he just gets really excited and then gives up. My husband has even carried him up a few times laugh out loud He really loves it upstairs, but then he has to be carried back down. cry We finally settled into a routine and would put the babygate up at night to keep Annie downstairs so he wasn't alone at night. Well here is the dilemma, our new puppy Charley climbs those stairs like a pro. So whenever anyone goes upstairs Annie and Charley are right behind. And poor Bo just sits at the bottom and looks like he lost his best friend. We thought Charley might motivate Bo , but he is not budging on this... So any suggestions ? The kids really want all the dogs upstairs and I can't navigate around a babygate all day..
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 10:50am PST 
I know a Dane that was the same way only with the steps our friends had from their yard to the deck. Dakota would just flat refuse. They think it was because the step had no backing on them and it freaked him out.

I don't know what to suggest. It sounds like you did all that I would do. What I did with Fungi was go up a step or too and really get excited and call his name. Once he came to me, I'd have a big party. Few more steps, same thing and so on.

Hopefully another pup can be of more help.
[notify]
Bo

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 10:58am PST 
Thanks I'll keep trying. I've even had my 6 year old daughter and her friends sit halfway up and call him. I can tell he wants to He shakes his tail so hard and barks. There is just some mental block. I should add we have three steps that lead outside from the kitchen to the pool area, and he has no proplem with these. The only thing we can think of maybe one day he tried when no one was home and something happened ? It's just sad because Bo is my husbands baby boy smile and he really wants him upstairs. I told him he can't carry Bo up there anymore, I'm afraid he'll give himself a hernia wink
[notify]

Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 11:01am PST 
laugh out loud I can't imagine trying to carry Bo up and down stairs.
I hope he gets the hang of it soon. He will probably be so happy when he does.
Once Fungi got used to it, I couldn't keep him off the stairs. bol

Edited by author Thu Sep 4, '08 11:02am PST

[notify]
Bo

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 11:09am PST 
I know, believe me it didn't take a lot of convincing not to do that anymore big grin
[notify]
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 11:44am PST 
are the stairs carpeted? if not, they make stick on carpet pads.
some dogs have a hard time on smooth steps being too slippery. i had a dog slip and tumble down a staircase that was hardwood and was very surprised as stairs had never proved difficult before.
[notify]
Taz - cgc tdi

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 11:51am PST 
Well you could try feeding him their. Put his food bowl two or three stairs up where he can reach it from the bottom. Once he's comfortable eating their, try moving it up a stair. Also you could try and find smaller stairs to work on, such as small flight of stairs on a porch or something along those lines.
[notify]
Bo

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 12:28pm PST 
They are hard wood floors. Where would I find those sticky pads ? I like the idea with the food, but I only allow them their meals in the kitchen. We had a begging issue a while back. When my parents visited us for Christmas they brought their Dashunds with them and fed them from the table frown But that's a whole other issue. So we had monkey see monkey do for a little while. Now they only get food and snacks in the kitchen or outside, training and walks. I did put the cheese on the steps again, but I'm afraid we are going to loose our food boundaries again with anything more.
[notify]
Bo

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 12:34pm PST 
P.S. on the sticky pads do those slow down the other dogs, and kids laugh out loud
[notify]
Taz - cgc tdi

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 12:39pm PST 
I believe you can get those pads at either home depot or menards. As far as the food boundrys, their's really no need to limit that to the kitchen. You just need to make sure they don't get anything while your eating. For example I treat my dogs all over the house, but never while I'm eating or anyone else in the house for that matter. When we have family and friends over, thats a major rule in our house.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5