GO!

Ear Sucking?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Max

Tail Wagging- Head Held High

Barked: Tue Aug 19, '08 8:50pm PST 
Yes I said Ear Sucking, Max loves to suck the ears of our friends dogs? It's strange to say the least....There is some shewing but usually it just makes the ears slimy? What would cause this and how do I keep him from doing it?
[notify]
Moose

Purebred Mutt

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 12:16am PST 
You need to interrupt him in the act. You can ask your friend if they would mind spraying bitter apple on their dogs' ears. Give him a good chew toy too. A kong stuffed with peanut butter is a great alternative! Make sure to let him get enough exercise, as bored dogs will demonstrate strange behaviors. If all else fails, keep him away from other dogs that he might want to do this to.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 4:19am PST 
We do not allow this to continue I just wondered why this would happen, It is strange?
[notify]

Olive

Olive the Other- Reindeer

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 9:51am PST 
Is it possible that the other dog has eat mites? My dogs caught them a few weeks ago (ick!) and they were really into sucking/licking each other's ears until it cleared up.
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 11:11am PST 
Olive has a good point. Romeo used to constantly try to lick my old shar pei's eyes (he required ointment for them).
And Romeo is just getting over a slight yeast infection and Fungi had been trying like crazy to lick his ear.

Does your pup do this with all other dogs or just your friend's?
[notify]
Max

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 11:32am PST 
We have had the dogs checked, and it is any dog around....this crazy dog!
[notify]
Cash TT

I got the best- Fur Coat on the- Block!

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 12:29pm PST 
I remember watching a show on NatGeo about orphaned and baby elephants, and they had a tendency to suck on each others' ears. I've also heard about some Dogsters whose pups sucked on THEIR ears!

I imagine it's a suckling thing- some pups find conslation in the nursing action of suckling. Maybe your pup was taken from his mummy before he was weaned, or perhaps he finds his new pal like a mothering figure and can't fight the urge to treat him as such.

If there's no illness, no mites and the other dogs ( and you!) don't mind, then I don't see a point in ceasing it. The pup is happy suckling, and if the other dog doesn't mind... then so be it.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 3:43pm PST 
I was just afraid it would cause a fungus or something? And it's strange!big laugh
[notify]
Cash TT

I got the best- Fur Coat on the- Block!

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 4:31pm PST 
If it doesn't ever get a chance to dry, maybe...

Think of it like a little kid sucking on his thumb.
Gotta get that "thumb" out of his mouth sometime-
so engage your pup in something else to let his pal have a break- maybe he'd like a chewy toy, or a game to entertain his mind..
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 4:12pm PST 
I believe Cash has it right…it has to do with being orphaned or starving as a puppy I think. We rescued a chihuahua/pug mix at 10wks old and he is a year and half old now and STILL sucks my other dogs ears until they are a slimey mess..thankfully no infections yet, as I wash them almost daily and dry them out. He was found starving at 4wks old, so from things I've read, the suckling instinct as well as a "starvation" mode has been imprinted on his little brain…causing him to eat almost everything organic (mulch, poop, grass etc) he's a little handful, but the sweetest little pup!! He also has a little hand towel he drags around to chew on when he's settling down for the night. If I catch him in the act of sucking the other dog's ears, he stops and backs away, so he knows he's not suppose to, but I just don't think he can help it..it's a security thing, like a child sucking his thumb. Bitter apple and all that doesn't work either…..we just keep him occupied and distract him if he does it.
[notify]