GO!

Training an Adult dog........

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Lady Meghan

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 8:40pm PST 
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on training my 2 year old yorkie to go in a dog littler box (pads in a box)... She goes outside, to go to the bathroom, but sometimes she can't hold it in and she will go on the floor. I would just like to teach her to go in the litter box but I am a little overwhelmed at trying to teach her. Any ideas would be really appreciated!
[notify]
Lobo

Cute things like- me get free- massages :D

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 9:23pm PST 
When I got Lobo, I had seriously considered litterbox training him. I did a lot of research on it and this is what I found out...Basically the best option for litterbox training is to start out with a simple cat litterbox and newspaper. Confine your pup and the litterbox in a small space so that he does not have many options to where he needs to go. Soak up some of your pup's pee in a tissue and spread it on the newspaper inside the box. When your pup gives you signals that he needs to go, put him inside the box (it's probably a good idea to have him on a leash) and wait until he goes. If he does, give him a treat and lots of praise! Keep in mind this is not going to happen right away. It might take a while until he actually goes inside the box. Hopefully after that he'll realize it's where he needs to go, and eventually he will start getting the hang of it.

However, I must warn you that there seems to be a common problem with litterbox training. In a forum I went to, almost every owner who litterbox trained their dog has a problem with getting all four legs in before they pee. This means they get lazy and won't go all the way inside the box. I was concerned about this and decided to train Lobo to go outside instead.

If you're gone most of the day, some other options beside using the litterbox may be hiring a pet sitter or have a close family member come in to let him out once in a while, or install a doggy door. I'm not saying litterbox training is impossible of course, just that it's a bit trickier. Good luck in whichever you choose to do and I hope I was some help!
[notify]
Lobo

Cute things like- me get free- massages :D

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 9:26pm PST 
Oh! I almost forgot to add that the bell trick also works very well. Since he's already trained to go outside, hang a bell on the door so he can tell yo uwhenever he needs to go. This way you wont' have to guess and he won't have to hold it in. It seems to have worked for me very well. big grin
[notify]

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Tue May 17, '05 5:07am PST 
Lobo.. that reminds me

I use a wee wee pad at home, and I used to pee with my nose on the wee wee pad, but my body outside it.
[notify]