GO!

I don't come all the time when called

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

  
(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Joker

Be true to your- pack
 
 
Barked: Tue May 17, '05 11:37am PST 
Get with an obedience trainer, now! The trainer will tell you that the recall is the most difficult thing that any dog can learn!

Each of you dogs have different circumstances and proclivities, the solution to each will be different in some way.

Main thing is like Ahmi said: until you are reliable, you have to stay on the lead. The lead gets longer and longer, but it is there. Your owner will condition you to come when called. If your owner has to go get you, they should NEVER punish you after capturing you - only positive reinforcement - pets, biscuits, and lovey words.

Some of you may end up with shock collars. Growl at me via email, but they do work in some limited cases.

Some of you may NEVER be reliable off-leash. My dear departed dog friend Phantom was Houdini dog all his life.

Regardless, like George Harrison sang,

It’s gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
It’s gonna take patience and time,...
To do it right...
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- NA, NAJ

Running with the- Big Dogs!
 
 
Barked: Tue May 17, '05 1:37pm PST 
Tucker comes probably about 80% of the time when I call him. It's the remaining 20% that worries me! My Puppy K teacher told our class to make sure the treat you use in rewarding the puppy for "Come" is something special. He tends t not eat his kibble so I bring kibble, biscuits and his favorite cookie when we are out and about. He gets the cookie for responding to "come". I have to remember the advice about calling "come" only once.
[notify]
Ami

I swear, I AM a- lap dog!
 
 
Barked: Tue May 17, '05 4:47pm PST 
Another thing is that after you call them the first time and they don't come... you need to go and get them. That is where the clothes line, or 'light lead' comes in; if there is a 25 foot rope attached to the pup it makes it much easier to retreive the dog than actually chasing them around (which happens to be Ahmi's favorite game, and she is much better at it than me).
Then the point about NEVER scolding a dog when you get it to come (wether you pull them to you or they come on thier own) is very important. I know from personal experience how hard that can be, the 'catch me!' game can be very frusterating for me.
And finally the treat; Ahmi is very food oriented... I like to use hot dogs cut up into little pieces. They smell really good to the dog and tend to keep their attention pretty well.
[notify]

B'Elanna (In- Memory)

What? What? I- can't hear you!

moderator
 
 
Barked: Thu May 26, '05 10:51pm PST 
I, too, am frustrated. B'Elanna is perfect on the lead. Very smart. Maybe too smart for me. She does everything, heel, sit, stay, wait, come as long as she is on the lead. But the minute I unsnap the lead it's, "yeah, right." She is getting better as she gets older, and it seems that now that we have a collie pup, B'Elanna listens to me much better. Now it's the pup that I'm trying to train. It's like, "Why should I come in the house when it's much more fun being outside." We have a fenced, 1-acre property. They say collies want to please very much, but once when Amber wouldn't come in for my mom, when she finally did come in, mom scolded her for not coming sooner and now she seems afraid to come in. Now I'm trying to overcome that problem. What I use for treats is dry cat food. Both dogs love it and it's convenient to carry in your pocket. Oh, there is one command that Amber comes to immediately. When B'Elanna is with me I ask her to bark. She barks once and Amber is there in a flash!
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy
 
 
Barked: Sat May 28, '05 6:07pm PST 
Jeannie and Loki: Good luck with your training. Beagles are notoriously hard to train to come when called when they're outside. They weren't bred that way. They were bred to be let loose and for hunters to catch them after they had treed game.

But don't stop trying. I just don't want you to get disappointed and think you have a rotten dog when training may not help. The same can be said for sled dogs. They're also notorious for running loose if given the chance.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2