GO!

I don't come all the time when called

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cooper

be the person- your dog thinks- you are

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 4:37pm PST 
Help me be a better listener.
[notify]
Jeannie

Jeannie-- a.k.a.Spike

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 5:11pm PST 
I need help, too, from someone who is experienced with dogs on a farm or on lots of acreage. Jeannie, a beagle, minds me all of the time inside the house, but once she is off leash on our land or at my parents' farmland, she runs like the wind and looks at me as if to say, "Catch me if you can!" I want to be able to let her be a beagle sometimes, but she disappears for hours, and although we have over 100 acres, the land doesn't go on forever. Highways surround it. Those log trucks are deadly. How can I train her to come to me? She is newly spayed and is 10 1/2 mo. old. My lab is usually with us and comes to me instantly. I was hoping Jeannie would learn from example.
Signed,
mother of a cooped up beagle
[notify]
Ami

I swear, I AM a- lap dog!

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 5:19pm PST 
This has helped me to learn, my mom and I learned it in school. Start on a 6 foot lead, just walking around together.... when the pup is distracted and not paying attention to you say it's name clearly... if you don't get an immediate response (turning and coming toward you) then give a quick tug on the leash and start walking backwards.... all the time saying good job, good job! Then give a small treat when the pup gets to you. Once your pup has gotten this one down you can get a longer lead... (our teacher reccomened getting a clothes line, which ususally comes in 50ft length, it's cheap and you can cut it into different lengths) and once you get a response all of the time on the longer lead you can put the lead down and let the dog wander.... then if you call and it doesn't come you can get the lead and pull them toward you.

One thing that our teacher really stressed (that I am not so good at) is only giving commands ONCE, if you repeat yourself then you are basically telling the dog it's ok to not do what you ask the first time. The other point that is pretty obvious, but overlooked sometimes, is making sure the dog knows how to be right... meaning that you give the dog positive attention when it does what you want; this is much more important than giving negative attention to behavior that you don't like. After all.. your dog just wants your attention and it will take what it can get, good or bad.

Good luck.... it's funny how much obedience is actually training us humans to communicate with our dog friends!
[notify]

Jeannie

Jeannie-- a.k.a.Spike

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 6:28pm PST 
Great advice, Ahmi!! It IS like I have taught Jeannie to ignore me now. I call her so many times that it's like the word goes in one ear and out the other. Also, I made the mistake of punishing her for running away from me. Now she probably thinks that she is going to be punished when she DOES come.
Boy, I do need some training. That dog has outsmarted me.
Thanks again for replying.
[notify]
tazz man

IS IT TUB TIME- !!!!

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 6:40pm PST 
Tazz is in school and the trainer has told me the same thing. When I call tazz i clap my hands 3 times and he comes or i call him in a stern voice and that usally works. Just keep on it and let your dog know who is boss. Training is great for both you and your dog. Good luck.
[notify]
Jeannie

Jeannie-- a.k.a.Spike

Barked: Mon May 16, '05 6:52pm PST 
Thank you, Tazz! Great advice. I know there is hope for me. Can't wait to hear what others do.
Keep barking,
Jeannie's hopeful mom
[notify]
Loki

two for me, none- for you

Barked: Tue May 17, '05 5:00am PST 
i think it's also our "beagle nose" - it's much harder for us to pay attention with all those scents distracting us! my mommy is going to try the lead practice, too - hopefully it works on beagles! ever notice you never see a beagle on a training show like "uncle matty" or others? hmmm.....

arrrooooooo!
[notify]
Xena *Warrior Princess*

The Lone Wolf.

Barked: Tue May 17, '05 6:12am PST 
We started this in the home / back yard.
Have a small piece of your dogs favourite treat, let them sniff what you have got, now you have thier attention. Call your dog to you, if he comes tell them tey're good and give them the treat. Repeat several times, then try again in another hour or so...Pretty soon they will respond to thier names, try not to give in and give the treat if he comes before you ask them to..Hope this helps
[notify]
Cleo

Wanna play?

Barked: Tue May 17, '05 9:02am PST 
That is great advice from Ahmi, and that is what the trainer lady told my Mom and Dad when I was in puppy school. I come all the time! I know when you call my name it must be for something good! My sister doesn't come all the time though. My Mommy thinks some breeds of doggies are naturally a little more independent than others. Some human families with those dogs (like Norwegian Elkhounds like my sister, or Siberian Huskies) just don't let their dogs off leash unless they are really sure they can trust them. I don't know if Beagles are like that or not. But sometimes it sure is tempting to go roaming when there are interesting smells to sniff.
[notify]
Jeannie

Jeannie-- a.k.a.Spike

Barked: Tue May 17, '05 9:11am PST 
Yeah, I think it's the beagle instinct. I just change into what I was born to be when I am off leash. I like the advice, and I will begin with the back yard practice and the training advice from Ahmi. I want to be able to run free sometimes, but I know my mommy is serious about my not getting killed by a vehicle or getting lost on a trail.
Howls to you!
Jeannie
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2