GO!

Aggressive Sheltie?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 9:20pm PST 
I live in an apartment complex and there is a man that lives near the front of my complex with a beautiful Sheltie. I see him walk his dog by my apartment every night, and I initally thought that it was a well behaved dog. The Sheltie walks perfectly, heels, sits when the man stops, does tricks, etc.etc. But I have to wait until I see the Sheltie go back inside it's house around 8PM before I walk Gunner because I am afraid that this dog is going to get loose and attack Gunner.

Examples:

Walking Gunner right by his apartment (he's on the 1st floor) will cause the Sheltie to slam itself into the glass door repeatedly to get to me/Gunner/whoever is passing by.

If the Sheltie is outside on the porch, it will JUMP the fence and try to attack your dog. Keep in mind that the fence is a solid wall that is about 5 feet high, so you can't really see if the Sheltie is there or not.

If you are out walking minding your business and this Sheltie is out walking with it's owner and spots you, this dog will jump, bark, growl, yelp, literally strangle itself and bite it's owner to try to get to you.

I don't know if this man does any type of sport or obidence with this Sheltie because I have never seen him leave with the dog in his car or walk outside of the complex with the dog (believe me, I was unemployed for 5 months and I had nothing to do ... bol)

It was my understanding that if Shelties (or any working/herding breed) don't have a job, they start having this bad quirks about them.

I was thinking about printing off a flyer for my local agility/herding club and sticking it in his door. Would that be rude?
[notify]
Rally Pood

Hand over the- treats'n nobody- gets hurt!

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 11:25pm PST 
If the dog is that bad it needs some socialization and obedience training classes under the guidance of a qualified behaviorist before getting into dog sports. Perhaps if you can catch the owner while he's out sometime and you don't have your dog you can go over to introduce yourself and casually bring it up in conversation.
[notify]