GO!

Potty-trained but now having accidents in the house!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rowdy

His name says it- all!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 10:59am PST 
My 7 month corgi has been house-broken for 4 months without ever having any accidents, but in the last few weeks he has peed 3 times and pooped twice inside the house. He knows how to tell us he needs to go out, and in some instances, the door has even been open, but he still chose to go inside. Has anyone else experienced this? Does this mean I have to train him all over again?
[notify]
Jack, CGC

It's hot out- here, can we go- inside?

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 11:09am PST 
Unfortunately I think the answer is - yes, you have to start over. Not completely over but go back to some of the basics. Jack is almost 10 months old and as we've found out on two occasions recently, he has no qualms about going in the house if we don't stick to a very strict schedule. So we went back to making a big deal about him pottying outside (praise and occasional treats). While most dogs just seem to "get it" and go outside by a certain point, I think that others (particulularly lazy ones, like Jack!) start to question "why should I go outside, nothing bad happens if I go inside?!?!". Since most people know and agree that you shouldn't punish your dog after the fact for going inside there is really no negative consequence for it, so you have to make the alternative - going outside - have such a positive consequence that it's worth the extra effort by the dog.

So reinstate the "potty party" when they go outside and if you don't already, I would keep a strict food/water/potty schedule so your dog knows what to expect and you know when you dog will have to go. Good luck!
[notify]
A.M.

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 4:55pm PST 
Also make sure the areas where the dog peed are COMPLETELY CLEANED WITH ENZYMATIC CLEANER OR VINEGAR otherwise the dog will use those areas continuously.
[notify]

Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 5:15pm PST 
Hi, I'm four and my Mom and Dad still me tell what a good girl I am when I go potty outside. It's not that I have accidents in the house or anything, but they try to let me know whenever I do something good that they are happy.

Edited by author Thu Oct 18, '07 5:16pm PST

[notify]
Fozzie

Wocka Wocka- Wocka!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 5:55pm PST 
Uh-oh... it sounds like your little Corgi is hitting his rebellious stage! laugh out loud

Fozzie started acting noticably sassy around Rowdy's age, even though he never had accidents. I would definitely not give him annnyy opportunities to potty inside, clean up the spots thoroughly, and keep him tethered to you if you need to! Definitely nip this in the bud.
[notify]
Lizzie

I rule on high

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '07 7:53am PST 
We always praise the dogs when they go outside, Lizzie has some issues holding it and telling us she has to go and has occasional accidents but she was a mill dog, 10 litters in 5 years and the vet said that is part of her problem so we are a bit more diligent about taking them out on a schedule to help prevent them.
Best to you in helping him get it right way to go
[notify]
Rowdy

His name says it- all!

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '07 12:27pm PST 
Thanks for all the responses guys! We're making sure to spray all the spots with Natures Mircale, never letting Rowdy out of our sight, and trying to get him back on a rigid schedule. It's tough when he goes to daycare 2-3 times a week though. Maybe that has had some effect? Hmm... thinking
[notify]