GO!

Collar question...what is a Martindale Collar?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Bruno

Brunoski

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 8:10pm PST 
How does the Martindale collar work? Like a slip on collar? do you have to adjust them every time you put them on? I need something that doesn't have a plastic clasp because that broke on Bruno's last collar so I was checking these other kinds on the internet but I don't get how they work and if they are easy to use. We don't keep a collar on all the time due to him getting hung up and almost choking once. So we need something that goes on and off quickly and easily.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 8:21pm PST 
A martingale collar is a limited slip collar. It has one big loop which is what slips over the dog's head, and one smaller loop. You attach the leash to a ring on the smaller loop, and the collar can tighten the amount of the smaller loop, which is why it is called a limited slip collar, it can partially tighten but it has a limit. You can have the collar adjusted so it can slip over the dog's head (and then when the collar tightens the dog cannot slip out of it) and then you don't have to loosen/tighten it each time you put it off/on. To see an example of what it looks like, go here:
PremierColl ar
http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/collars3.shtml
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 11:27pm PST 
We Italian Greyhounds know a lot about martingale collars. They are the only collar for us. We have heads that are smaller than our necks (all sighthounds do) so buckle collars slip right over our heads, no matter how tight they are. A properly fitted martingale can slip snuggly over a head to be put on and then still be the proper length to tighten around the neck so that it can't slip off. Martingales are particularly nice if you have a dog that likes to try to back out of his collar. The martingale won't allow this, if properly fitted. To be properly fitted, the two metal rings that hold the small loop of material to the larger loop should never be able to meet when the leash is pulled tight. If the rings can meet, then the collar is too big and the dog will be able to slip out of it. Premier makes nice sturdy martingales, as does Lupine (which has a lifetime guarantee, even if chewed!). There are also some great online vendors of lovely martingales: K-9 closet is a great store that makes beautiful. You might also look up sighthound collar online.

PS if you want to stay with a buckle collar, you may try one with an actual metal buckle. Get a nice sturdy one (maybe one made of leather with brass fittings) and that shouldn't break like the plastic one. I too am wary of anything plastic on my dog. wink
[notify]

Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 11:29pm PST 
PS I know you mentioned this, but I wanted to make sure to point it out to others who may read this topic. A martingale should NEVER EVER be left on an unattended dog, due to its potential to choke the dog. It is for walking only. wink
[notify]
Bruno

Brunoski

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 8:02am PST 
Thanks for the info on the collars. Maybe we should just put Bruno in a harness.
[notify]
Bandit

Anytime can be- naptime

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '07 7:24pm PST 
Martingale collars are great for dogs who need help with training or who have heads smaller than their necks. It is true that many people do not leave them on their dogs unattended - but that wouldn't be any different than a harness, you wouldn't leave that on unattended. Most people have a "house collar" that their dogs wear in the house and then put the martingale collars on to attach the leash.

For more information about martingale collars, this is a great article:

http://www.2houndsdesign.com/Martingale-Collars-p-10.htm l
[notify]
Bruno

Brunoski

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 8:40am PST 
hey thanks you guys. Yes, we learned not to leave anything on Bruno when we are not home. We even put up the window shade cords so that there is not way he can get tangled in them during the day.
We still have not solved our problem, but are using a buckle collar when we put him out front to go potty (it's attached to a cable staked into the ground and in full view of us) But it's such a hassel to unbuckle then buckle back on when he wants out again.
I like the look of the martindale collar and think that's what we will get. Thanks for the info.
[notify]
Cookie

Your Never Too- Big To Be A Lap- Dog

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 12:55pm PST 
I just bought Lupine Martingale collars for my dogs. I chose the Martingale collar because Cookie took off after a Squirrel one day and the clip on her adjustable collar popped right open like it was nothing. She also would get a rash on the front of her neck from wearing her collar snug. The martingale collar is worn loosely when adjusted properly.
[notify]