GO!

Why do I poop on the couch?!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lady

Where's my- sister?

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '07 11:55am PST 
Ever since Mommy got me (on May 27th), I've been really strange with my housebreaking. I know I'm supposed to go outside, and I do go outside... but then I come inside and take a giant additional dump on the couch. I have never had an accident anywhere else except the couch, but Mommy thinks I get a real pleasure out of doing it. At least once a day, Mommy has to scrub the couch after I poop on it. Even after I've already gone outside several times. My feeding schedule is consistent, my punishment for going on the couch is the same every time... and yet I still do it.

Why?
[notify]
Nick, CGC, WETX

I like wet, fowl- smelling things

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '07 12:04pm PST 
Are you saying that for the past three months "at least once a day" you poop on the same couch?

I guess I am wondering why you're allowed on the couch? Why, since your mommy knows you are doing this doesn't she either keep you outside longer or pay closer attention to what you are doing and when she sees you getting ready to poop pick you up and take you outside?

What is your "punishment" for pooping on the couch and when is it administered?

Seems like there is some information missing here, this really doesn't make sense as described.

Edited by author Tue Sep 4, '07 12:05pm PST

[notify]
Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '07 12:36pm PST 
Maybe you need to be trained to stay off the couch. You can buy one of those "scat mats" which keeps dogs/cats off the couch.
[notify]

Lady

Where's my- sister?

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 4:57am PST 
I guess I am wondering why you're allowed on the couch? Why, since your mommy knows you are doing this doesn't she either keep you outside longer or pay closer attention to what you are doing and when she sees you getting ready to poop pick you up and take you outside?

It doesn't matter how long she's out there. She'll poop, walk around for another half hour or so outside, and then when we come in she'll wait until my back is turned and then do it again. That's why I'm thinking it's an anxiety thing, or an attention-getting issue. She's allowed on the couch because Misty (her sister) is always on there. It's where she sleeps during the time that I spend at work, where she sits to look out the window. It's hard to keep one dog off the couch, while allowing the other on.

Lady never does it when I'm watching, but if I leave her unsupervised for fifteen minutes to take a shower... there it is. I live in an apartment complex so there's no yard where she can just run for hours. Plus I don't think it's an issue of having to go so badly that she can't hold it... or else she'd be having accidents all over the place whether I was there or not. She gets walked many times a day, and her feeding schedule is very consistent.

There's the option of keeping her in a cage when I'm not able to watch her, but as she gets older and this continues to be a problem, I don't want to have her locked up all the time. She's not otherwise destructive and I want Misty and her to be able to play together during the day.
[notify]
Lady

Where's my- sister?

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 4:59am PST 
Oh and her punishment is that I bring her over to the poop, but her face by it, and sternly tell her no. Then I put her in her cage (which is in the guest room so that Misty won't start messing with her) for about a half hour.
[notify]
Molly

"Throw the ball- already!"

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 7:39am PST 
I'm pretty sure that your Lady does not understand the punishment. Talk to a trainer about more effective methods.
[notify]
Gabrielle

Stop! You little- fart-nugget!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 8:02am PST 
Lady has no idea why you are pushing her face to the accident and saying "NO". It says nothing to her except that Mom does strange things to me. Be sure also to use a nuetralizer like Nature's Miracle. Leave it on the spot to work on the stain and then blot up.

I agree with everyone that allowing her on the couch is an invitation for disaster. If she does this while unsupervised then she needs to be supervised at all times by tethering her to you with a long leash. If you need to take a shower or run out, she needs to be in a crate.

I have a question about the what you describe as her habit of going outside then pooping additionally inside. Do you actually see her poop outside? If you do and she still goes again inside, a trip to the vet might be in order. Some dogs can have a stricture in the colon which gives them the sensation that they need to go often.

Hope all this hasn't been too overwhelming when you are already stressed. Please take heart and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Don't be afraid to ask for advice at the vet, at the local shelter, or from your vet. They all want this to work out well for both of you too!
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 8:09am PST 
So you are saying she only does this when she comes back in from her walk and when your back is turned and not when you are out at work all day? If that is the case then I suggest when you take a shower or whatever else you have to do when you can't watch her, you put her in her crate (as you said that she does have one).
[notify]
Lady

Where's my- sister?

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 4:03pm PST 
She does it only when unsupervised, yes. I'm fortunate enough to be home often, but I hate that I have to leave her in her cage every waking moment if I cannot watch her. At first I thought she was just being a puppy and having accidents, but now I really think it's some kind of anxiety that she gets when she can't see me around. She definitely goes when we're outside, I see her do it, she just likes to go again if I leave her alone.

She doesn't go many many times a day, to the point where I think there's a problem with her digestive system. For example, we'll go outside once and she'll poop, then we'll come in and she's fine for the next hour. I go shower and without fail, she's pooped on the couch. If I take her out again before leaving her, she won't go, because it's too soon after the last time... it takes her being left alone to do it.
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 9:00pm PST 
I know it's hard to keep a puppy in a crate, but that's what I do with Zeppelin! If I can't watch him, he goes in his crate. He doesn't mind as it's his home and that's where he gets his meals. big grin Even if I'm having a shower, he's gotta be in his crate since Jagger and him play rough sometimes and I have to watch them constantly (to avoid injury). As for the punishment, I don't think stuff like that works because the dog has already forgotten what happened (or I think that's right... correct me if I'm wrong). shrug
And as another post-er said: make sure you get the smell out so she won't do it there again. I think that's really the only thing you can do. Good luck! hug

Edited by author Mon Nov 26, '07 9:01pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2