GO!

Poll: Who leaves their dog in a crate for 8 hours?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Rosco

wanna go- swimming?

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 10:07am PST 
I would just like to know how many of you on here actually leave there dog crated for 8 or more hours because people on here seem to think that you can't leave them for more than 4 hours. I guess they have the luxery of not having a job or being able to hire a dog walker.
[notify]
Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 10:15am PST 
Buddy stays in his crate while I'm at work....approximately 9 hours depending on traffic that day.
He is also in his crate at night while I'm sleeping. I'd like to say it's 8 hours, but actually only 7 to 71/2.

Which brings up another topic...when WAS the last time I got 8 hours of sleep??? I'd have to say pre-child (human child).
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 10:16am PST 
Kolbe & Guster are crated 8 hours while we are at work. If we are only going to be gone for a little while (like 3 hours or less) they are un-crated. My fiance now works closer to our house so he can often come home at lunchtime to let them out to potty and take a run in the yard for a few. He also does not have a M-F work schedule...it's 10 days on, 2 days off so he often gets 2 days off in the middle of the week, and I always have weekends off, so they are crated max 3 or 4 days a week. They sleep during the day, whether they are crated or not.
[notify]

Conrad

PLEASE DON'T- LEAVE ME!!!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 10:19am PST 
I do. Conrad suffers from seperation anxiety and just general fearfullness issues and his crate is very therapeutic for him. He goes in even when we're home and the door is left open, just to hang out. He gets ample exercise before and after we get home, plus puzzle toys to spend time on while crated.

Sometimes I work from home, and on those days that I do, these dogs barely move. After their morning walk and breakfast, they settle in, hunker down, and sleep HARD for hours at a time. Conrad frequently even does so in his crate, even though he doesn't have to, I'm home, he could nap on the couch if he wanted.

Unless you want your dog running laps around the house when you are not home (even presuming dogs would do this for no reason other than to just do it, which is not common), a crate or a confinement room is no different from what they'd normally be doing: picking a spot somewhere in the hosue and staying there, sleeping. Unless you have an SA dog like me who the moment people leave the house has a panic attack and tries to hurl himself through the nearest window in order to follow you.
[notify]
Rusty

Kitty Snickers- are the best.

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 10:27am PST 
I only get crated when there is no humans at home. I have some big brothers and sisters and the humans are always in and out, Mom just feels it for my safety.....so I might average about 3-4 hours a day.
[notify]
Bob, CGC

To err is- human-to forgive- canine

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 10:30am PST 
I dont crate or pen my adult dogs. My puppy I pen for 8 or 9 hrs. I feel like a crate is too small. However, i sympathize with the need to work. I am gone 7 1/2 hrs to 8 hrs and many people have told me its cruel to my dogs especially my puppy. They seem absolutely fine with it though. I tried hiring a dog walker for my puppy but there werenone in my area.
[notify]
Cookie

I'm much bigger- than I look

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 10:43am PST 
I do, because I work. Usually it's about 6 hours, but if my husband is late coming home it is 8 or 9. Cookie is housebroken completely but is not chew broken. When she was under 8 months old I came home at noon and let her out and put her back in. She has 10 fenced acres with a pond to run when I am home and she goes in the car any time I don't have to spend too much time in the store.

My other 2 dogs have most of the run of the house, but they were crated when they were pups that would get into things. They are all trained to stay out of the living room now and I have no problem with any of them. Cookie loves her crate. It is roomy with a plush bed and water and chew toys. (it was much smaller when she was potty training.)smile

If I say the word 'kennel' she makes a B-line for it (and waits for her treat). If she is feeling bad, (like the other day when she got nailed by a wasp!) She stays in it with the door open. It is her sanctuary when she isn't sleeping with us or snuggling on the couch.

I learned many years ago that if you want to be happy with your young dog, don't give them the opportunity to destroy things or go potty where and when they want to. There are ways to get dogs used to crates so they don't develope separation anxiety when you leave them.
[notify]
Trey

Trey Poppy!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 10:54am PST 
Mine were crated at least 8 hours at a time when I worked. If it was going to be longer than that, my neighbor would come over and let them out. But there's been times (certainly not intentional) that they have been crated 10-12 hours without an issue, aside from they had to pee really bad when I got home. We'd gone shopping and the car broke down on the way home. Couldn't get ahold of anyone to let them out, I hadn't made arrangements because I wasn't planning to be gone that long. One of my dogs voluntarily held her bladder for over 20 hours, because it was raining that morning and she refused to pee, even when I took her out on the leash (she hates rain). Of course I would never actually expect a dog to hold it that long, but she did and it was her choice because I took her out every hour trying to get her to go outside.

It's not cruel to crate them, it's keeping them safe. Take Trey for instance. He's a very serious chewer, even at 18 months old. If I left him alone, I can promise he'd find a way to an electrical cord (his picture is old, he's big enough to rest his elbows on the counter now) and I'd probably come home to a burning house and a dead dog or 6.
[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 11:01am PST 
I don't anymore, but I did when Blake was younger. I got him when he was 15 months, and he was crated while I was at work (8 hours, give or take) for about 6-8 months. I slowly transitioned him from the crate to being only in the kitchen, which we did for another 6-8 months.

He's now 4 years old and has the run of the house. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that he snuggles up in our overstuffed chair and sleeps there the entire day.
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 11:01am PST 
Siri's crated while I'm at work, and it sometimes runs as much as 10 hours if there's no one else home. It's an extra large crate, so he has room to walk around in it and I leave a bowl of water for him. Mostly, I think, he sleeps when I'm not there. I still worry, since he's only 18 months old, that he'll find an electrical cord tasty and I'll lose my best friend.
Most days, my daughter is home, and comes over to let him out in the middle of the day.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19