GO!

Ideas to keep the dog busy while I'm at work?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jasmine

Joyful

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 2:53pm PST 
I will be going back to work in 3 weeks, gone 9 or 10 hours a day.

My dog is used to it, though it's been about 6 weeks now that I spend a lot of time with her, being off work.

Now I feel bad going back to work.

Before I leave in the morning, she gets an hour's exercise (brisk walking and playing fetch). When I come home she sets another one to 2 hours exercise.

She sleeps most of the day since I've been on holidays, but usually around 2 or 3 PM, she's ready to move.

What can I leave her (toys, etc.) to keep her busy that extra 2 or 3 hours I'll be gone?
[notify]
Chani

Munchkin,- Rascal, Run- Chani Run

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 3:30pm PST 
I love when my Mommy fills my kong with peanut butter or treats. It keeps me busy for quite a while. Plus, I always have lots of toys. Ropes, nylabones, balls etc.. Most recently my pawents got Tonka. He keeps me busy too.
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 5:27pm PST 
Yep, keep lots of toys handy and make sure excersize is still a major morning routine. You could also spend time outdoors with her after you get home from work to wear off some energy she has built up since you've been at work. We try to get in a walk after work everyday, then play outside with our toys until after dinner, then come in and start getting ready for bed. We usually try to spend another hour or so playing with her before bed time to wear off some energy right before bed time. Nallah gets to come with us to work everyday (LUCKY DOG!!) but its not like we get to play with her much at work, but she is able to roam around the office and greet our customers which keeps her busy. I think the kong treats are a good way to keep them busy for a while. I have also heard of a treat jeenie or something that will automatically dispense treats every couple of hours to keep your pet entertained, I don't know how expensive they are though. I think I saw them at petsmart or something. Just figure out what kinds of toys she really enjoys and load up on all different kinds or shapes of them so she dosn't get bored. We have a whole basket full of toys that we try to alternate so Nallah dosn't get sick of any one toy. I think those are the two main keys: excersize and toys!! Good Luck, hope this helped!! wink
[notify]

Pogo

Antipodean Fuzz- Butt

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 8:01pm PST 
I hear you Jasmine! My mummy has to leave the house at 7 and returns around 5.15 so I have a long day in the laundry (we rent and the owner insists that I be in there - otherwise it would be outside and in the elements with no shade). Mummy fills my kong with treats and peanut butter and leaves me lots of my toys, especially the plush ones, for me to play with and chew on, and makes up my little day bed so it's all warm and snug for me (it's winter here right now), but she's going to get me a buster cube too to keep me occupied cos she knows I'm an intelligent little girl. At night when mummy comes home, mummy says the first two hours when she gets in are all my time and we play and do all sorts of things together and then settle down and snuggle on the sofa and watch tv together. hug
[notify]