GO!

Eating out of the same bowl

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Stitch

older, wiser,- still sniffs- butts

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 7:06pm PST 
Ok, I have two dogs, and about 6 months ago, they decided they that they were going to eat out of the same bowl. It is always the same thing, The older dog will eat first. He always leave food for the younger dog and as soon as he is finished the younger dog will eat. This seems like it would be a "pack" characteristic however I am always afraid the younger dog isnt getting enough food. If I put a second bowl out or add food to the bowl, she wont touch it until the older dog decides he doesnt want anymore. I really dont know if this is a good or bad thing. Should I try and get them to eat out of two different bowls? Any advise? shrug
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 8:21pm PST 
Er, well, I guess you don't want your older dog overeating, so you should probably try and get the younger to eat his own food... Or, you can feed the older dog JUST enough, and add food when he's done? Or, if you do NILIF I can see the dogs looking to YOU to see if you're done eating their food, and then may eat heartily after you.
[notify]
(In MEMORY) Tigger

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 12:03am PST 
Shih Tzu's can become overweight quickly (just ask Tigger)... I'd recommend having them eat in seperate bowls. This will allow you to control the amount of food that each eats.
Good luck!
[notify]

(In MEMORY) Tigger

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 12:03am PST 
Shih Tzu's can become overweight quickly (just ask Tigger)... I'd recommend having them eat in seperate bowls. This will allow you to control the amount of food that each eats.
Good luck!
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 5:59am PST 
Have you tried having them eat in seperate rooms? Someplace where they can not see each other.
[notify]
Charlie &- Buster - [RIP]

if you throw- it.......we will- chase it !

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 7:05am PST 
Charlie & Buster used to do this all the time ........ at the same time ! it never ceased to amaze me that not one snarl was ever uttered ! the only way we could separate them was to feed one in a separate room. after a while Buster would come around and clean up any leftovers from Charlie's dish ........if the cat Skeeter didn't get there first ! sometimes i even caught the cat & one of the dogs eating at the same time out of the same dish...... thats right pups ......a cat that wouldn't leave the dog food alone ! eek may all three " RIP"
[notify]
Stitch

older, wiser,- still sniffs- butts

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 4:09pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. The seperate room thing sounds like a good idea, unfortunately the older dog is a grazer (for 5 years I have tried to change with no luck, especially since he is very picky eater) And since the older dog is a grazer the younger one has become one also. The only time they dont eat out of the same bowl, is when they eat human food. I guess that is the solution to my problem, just feed them human food.smile
[notify]
Howling- Spirits- Broken Halo

I\'ll help!!!!

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 9:38pm PST 
I say, you should make them be able to eat out of the same bowl. There are 13 of us here, we all eat at the same time, and we do not fight. Not being able to control them while they eat, really just means that you have no control over them.
[notify]