GO!

How many bathroom breaks does your doggie get?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Penny

I didn't do it!

Barked: Thu Jan 25, '07 10:22am PST 
Ok, it's me again... big grin

I know how to calculate how long a dog can hold for potty breaks. Penny was trained on wee wee pads, but she also knows to go outside. I want to start weening her off the wee wee pads. I bought a bell to help. I don't want her to abuse the bell, so I will only take her out so many times throughout the day. But the question is, how many times a day is good? With the schedule of me & my family, we can do morning, afternoon and night. How many times do you guys take your babies out for potty breaks?
[notify]
Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Thu Jan 25, '07 10:25am PST 
1- wake up (between 7-9am)
2- after food (becuase this is when I poop)
3- lunch (can be optional)
4- home from work (about 5:30)
5- before bed ( I poop here too.) this one has known to be optional too if me or Mom falls asleep on the couch and forgets.
[notify]
Callie NPC,- DBE, STCH,- LP1, CR

100% pure Love- Sponge Attention- Hound!

Barked: Thu Jan 25, '07 10:33am PST 
1 - late morning (as this is when Mom gets up...she's a late sleeper) - I get fed first, then taken outside as this is when I poop
2 - afternoon (early afternoon if Mom's working, mid to late afternoon if she isn't)
3 - evening after supper, I poop here too
4 - around midnight (quick trip out to the front yard to pee just before Mom & I go to bed)
[notify]

Montejo

mommys boy

Barked: Sun Jan 28, '07 2:24pm PST 
Yep I was going to say 4 or 5 times a day , like everyone elsedancing
[notify]
Ch. OTCh Miss Ginger's Fancy

I am very Fancy.

Barked: Sun Jan 28, '07 3:02pm PST 
We go out whenever we want/need to thanks to the dog door. With so many dogs here, it makes life easier for mom and it makes housetraining fosters and puppies a breeze.
Most of us go poo once a day and then a couple of potty breaks throughout the day.
For me, I will hold both poo and pee all day if I have to, even though mom gives me potty breaks at work all day long. That is my funny quirk.

For those without a dog door, I say a routine schedule that you keep strict every day is a good idea. Early morning potty run, midday, evening, and then before bed.
But if you are home and the bell is rung, make sure she goes out to potty, and then allow her to play.

Also, dogs over 6 months of age are fully-able to hold it in all night, and then during the day if you have to be away.
[notify]
Cinnamon Grrrl

The Little Bad- Wolf

Barked: Sun Jan 28, '07 3:14pm PST 
6 a.m.: Breakfast, followed by walk/potty break.

Noonish: Walk/potty break.

6 p.m: Dinner, followed by walk/potty break.

In addition to that, I will usually go out in the back yard a couple of times a day (late morning and late afternoon).
[notify]
Scooby, CGN

Barked: Sun Jan 28, '07 3:25pm PST 
My usual routine is as such:

8 ish: out for a quick pee
8:45 after I took my girls to school, little walk and poop
9-12 flake, cuddle with Mom lie in sunshine
12-1: little walk and poop
2:30: out for a quick pee, then I get my girls
3:15: possibly a quick poop walk
6 ish: usually the final poop walk for the day

Sometimes I need one or two more, or if I get to play in my yard, I usually will just pee...I won't go poop in my yard, but I will in everybody else's.puppy
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Sun Jan 28, '07 4:04pm PST 
Morning, late afternoon (around 4 or 5ish), and once or twice in the evening. So 3 to 4 times. I also make sure he pees before we go into any building (pet store, training facility, vet, etc.). I know he probably would never go inside (he never even had accidents in the house as a puppy!), but just in case. Gio pees on command so it is easy to get him to empty the tank before we go somewhere new big grin
[notify]