GO!

Are boxers usually hard to train?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Tucker

A tail that can- clear a table

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '07 5:15pm PST 
I'm no expert on boxers, but I'll tell you about my 'granddog' Molly, a white boxer (my daughter and soninlaw's dog).

They had no experience training a dog, but had wanted a white boxer for a long time...so they read up on how to train (most any dog), with consistency and repetition. They also took Molly to a puppy kindergarten class.

Now maybe white boxers are more calm and laid-back, but Molly's never been what you'd call 'hyper' or high-high-energy. Yes, she had quite a bit of energy when younger (she's now 7)but for the most part is quiet and laid-back...and from the start, they did simple training with her, and she's about the best, sweetest, gentlest, plus smartest dog I've ever seen.

They walked her every day around the perimeters of the yard (an acre), and she's never gone out of it (it's not fenced). She understands to stay in the backyard, and doesn't ever venture out to the front (where the road is). She's 100% reliable on anything she's told or asked to do. I'm still always amazed at the things she understands, and how she responds.

When younger, the kids took her on a nice long walk every day, plus played with her in the yard...she'd get the zoomies and go runnin' like crazy for awhile, round and round the property.

I guess you can tell I'm just crazy about her.

Edited by author Wed Jul 25, '07 5:16pm PST

[notify]
~ Jake ~

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '07 8:50am PST 
I would say that they are easier to train if you start them young. Consistency and daily work are what is best. And Boxers are very smart and will try to get away with breaking the rules if you don't stay on top of things. So, love them, play with them, love them some more, and work work work with them every day. I don't think real 'training' ever ends. And by the way, you are the one being trained, not them. You must understand how the "dog" world is so that you can better work with your dog. You can email me directly if you want. I have worked with a trainer since my boy was 10 weeks old. I would love to share what I have learned, but it's too much info for this area. But no matter what, consistency is the key. Everyone in the household has to be on board and using the same terminology, otherwise doggy will get confused and disregard everything you are trying to teach him/her. Good luck!! esrichie@yahoo.com
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2