GO!

Do Beagles Need a Sweater in the Winter?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cooper

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 7:10pm PST 
Cooper is our first Beagle. He took him in June, so we are experiencing our first change of season with him. Over the past couple of weeks the mornings and evenings have been in the 40s and 50s. We have noticed that if Cooper is not moving around, he begins trembling. Is this because he is cold? If so, what do we do in the winter months? Please excuse our ignorance, but we both have had long hair dogs, so short hair dogs is a new experience!
[notify]
Beulah

Canine- Fashionista

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 3:29pm PST 
Beulah is an older girl, so she gets a bit chilly. She has a fleece coat that one of the ladies from the shelter made for her. I think I will be ordering a fleece coat for Fitzy for Christmas. I prefer the coats/jackets that velcro under the tummy, because my dogs hate having things put over their heads.
[notify]
Avery

Calm Submissive- is the way to- go!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 8:50am PST 
My Beagle-mix is normally warm. But I do put a fleece coat with velcro across the top. I put it on her when the temperature drops below 20-25 degrees and we are going for a long walk. She hates putting on the coat but she feels more comfortable at the end of the walk.

You may also want to think about boots if people salt the sidewalks and streets in the winter. The salt and ice will irratate the dog's paws causing them to limp on the walk.

I hope this helps.
Tony B.

Edited by author Tue Oct 26, '10 8:51am PST

[notify]

Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 5:08pm PST 
My boy doesn't have the typical undercut of a beagle so begins shivering around fifty to sixty degrees. He definitely needs his sweaters. I agree with the last responder in that they do not Luke things put over their head. Cinnamon, the dachshund beagle, has a thick coat so she doesn't need them until its in the forties or colder. Overall, yes most beagle need coats if they are used to the indoor warmth. smile
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 1:47am PST 
Depending on where you live, the answer is yes. Scooter has sweaters, t-shirts, thermal pjs (that cover most of his body including his legs and chest), light weight windbreaker-type coats, heavier polyfil coats, and even a leather coat with cashmere lining. He also has boots and gaitors (that go over his boots and further up his legs to keep snow from getting into the boots).
[notify]
Cooper

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 5:13pm PST 
Thanks for all of the replies - do you have any suggestions or favorite places to look for coats & boots? Amazon? Any brands to look out for or avoid?
[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Thu Dec 23, '10 10:12am PST 
My Maggie is only about 5 months old now and we live in NE Ohio, so she needs a little help. I never was one to "dress" my dogs and felt a little silly at first, but it's turned out to be kind of fun! She amassing quite a wardrobe, (2 sweater and a winter jacket) and she loves to wear them, much to my surprise. At a regular pet store, I have found that they usually cost in the $15-$20 range, but our local Big Lots always has them in stock for around $7.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Dec 23, '10 7:17pm PST 
I live in Canada and our winters here get pretty cold. So my Beagle has his own sweater AND booties. The booties protect his paws from ice balls, ice, salt and cold and the sweater keeps him from getting more cold than need be as well. I find he shivers if it's even slightly cooler out, so he definitely has a sweater. That said, my rottweiler, Maya doesn't have a sweater, as she has a 'double' coat and it's medium length.
[notify]
Ruby

Spaz-O

Barked: Wed Apr 6, '11 7:33pm PST 
I would say get a sweater just incase.
[notify]
Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 7:37am PST 
My beagle never did and she's an outdoors dog (working on that) I just put out a couple of blankets I put in the dryer to get warm.
[notify]