GO!

Spay

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lilah

Loveable Lilah

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '07 4:37pm PST 
I had Lilah recently spayed, and its hard to "keep a beagle down" so to speak. I know some say "poo poo" to spaying but we live in a rural area with plety of wild animals and hunters, I did it for her safetly of hopefully not running off or having pups. Anywho, like I said last Monday was her surgery and came home Tuesday. Now she has developed a blood blister under her skin (took her back in for a recheck). Doctor prescribed heat soak 2 times a day and diazepam ever 12 hours for the next 7 days. They are 5mg's. That being said, the diazepam doesn't even touch her concerning her calmness and the soaks don't seem to be helping. We've been keeping her in her crate more often but she still is active in there somewhat and keeping her seperated from the other dogs. The vet said this blood blister will not hurt her but she will heal faster with these measures. They just don't seem to be helping and I cannot think of any other ways to keep her from being so active. Anyone have any suggestions?
[notify]
Fancy

I'm the- princess!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 10:52pm PST 
Getting a dog spayed is always a good idea, unless theres some bizarre medical reason where its not a good idea. You did the right thing.

Maybe just letting her lay your bed with you? Does she have a bed in her crate she relaxes in? My beagles jump in their crates if I break out there beds (they only get them at night).
[notify]
The- Beaglesworth- Bunch

Gotta eat,gotta- eat,gotta eat- right now!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '07 8:04am PST 
The boys were neutered at 8 weeks and when mom picked them up and brought them home they were EVERYWHERE. Mom thought they might be a little sore but they acted like nothing had ever happened. shrug
[notify]

Lilah

Loveable Lilah

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '07 6:38pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. Nothing has seemed to work. Shes developed a blood clot under the skin, we had to have it drained. As far as Im concerned the vet said to just do what we've been doing and keep her relaxed. He also said that the blood clot wouldn't hurt her it'll just take her longer to heal.. so I dont know, but she is normal besides that!
[notify]