GO!

Wanted: Advice on Beagles (Please!)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '07 10:09am PST 
Hi everybody. My name is Zeppelin. My sister, Dixie, and I are APBT's (if'n you couldn't tell by looking at us). Yesterday, our Dad brought home a 4-legged thing that goes "A'ROO!!!" Mom says it's a Beagle. I think it's a cow, because I keep herding it around. At any rate...my mom was wondering if all you Beagle's could give her some words of wisdom. She has never had any type of hound dog before, and Daisy (that's what dad named the a'roo'er) and her nose make mom quite nervous.

Daisy looks to be about a year old (same age as me, but a WHOLE lot smaller; mom says she didn't realize me and Dixie are such buffalo's). Dad found Daisy at a plant where he's welding right now. She is pretty skinny and a little beat up, and dad thinks she's adorable, so he brought her home. She's been good so far; at first she was terrified of me and Dixie, but I think she's warming up to us. She's in heat right now, but mom is having her spayed as soon as she goes out of heat. Mom got her a little crate, and Daisy very quickly took to it, and seems to like her crate a lot.

We're just looking for any tips or words of advice on what to do with a Beagle. Mom is only knowledgeable on Pitties.
[notify]
Molly

Molly- She keeps going,- and going......

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '07 8:52am PST 
My name is Molly and I am a beagle. My mom and dad brought me home when I was just 10 weeks old so they have been through a lot with me. I learned housebreaking pretty easy, but I just couldn't seem to get the ...NO CHEWING ON THINGS concept. I chewed EVERYTHING!!!!! Furniture, electrical cords, my beds, my moms brand new bedspread and curtains, a hole in the carpet....EVERYTHING!!!!! When I was about a year and a half we got my big sister Maggie. She is eight now and she is a basset hound. She really taught me a lot about how to be a good girl. I've calmed down a lot since I have someone to play with. I hardly ever do bad stuff anymore...except I still like to dig holes in the back yard. I'm three years old now. Your new beagle will probably do well since she already has you two doggies to keep her company...we like having someone to play with all the time. Oh ...don't try to let her off her leash when you are out of the yard cuz she will just follow her nose and who knows where she will end up. We go to the doggie park a lot so we can be off leash and safe. Also make sure you don't feed her too much cuz right now I have to be on a diet because I kind of got a round tummy from too many hotdogs! I just love hotdogs. So now I just get my dog food and raw carrots for a treat. That's okay though cuz I like raw carrots...especially when I get a whole big one for myself. Did all this help any? You'll like your new beagle sister. Beagles are very loveable. And CUTE!!!

snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '07 11:20am PST 
thank you so much molly! our mom is going to try to find a good, loving home for daisy...but until she does, we will keep her and just do the best we can. i'm glad you made the comment about never letting her off leash...mom is very worried about that. daisy has run into the road twice now, so now mom will only let her out on a leash. dad says you can't keep her on a leash all the time, she needs to run and get exercise. mom understands this, but exercise in the form of 4 rolling Michelin's does not sound like fun. mom is thinking about making a tether run for daisy, and letting her stay outside during the day. what do you think about this? right now daisy is being crated during the day while mom is at work (she's gone 11 hours a day) and at night (she's not housebroken and is in heat). that makes mom feel bad...but daisy cannot stay out with me and dixie during the day (even after she's been spayed) because mom worries because we are so much bigger than daisy, and we play a little rough sometimes. okay, all the time. mom wants daisy to be happy...the point behind rescuing her (dad found her) was to give her a better life, not keep her crated and unable to run all the time. mom would love to fence in the yard, but it's 1.6 acres, and that's a lot of fence. so any alternative suggestions are greatly appreciated and carefully considered!
[notify]

Pickles

A little dill

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '07 9:58am PST 
Mom says the main thing for little beagles is that we are pretty rambunctious at first, but mellow out after a few years. We just need a creative outlet for our frustrations. Have you tried hide and seek? That's my favorite game. Mom hides something (a pig ear or cookie, usually) and I have to find it. It gives me a chance to get exercise, and work my nose out. Now, I'm so good at the game I can find the kids, too!
I wouldn't do a lead run, though. Sometimes beagle noses get the best of us, and it's very easy to get hurt when trying to run after a bunny.
[notify]
Maggie at- the Rainbow- Bridge

I love EVERYBODY- !

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 8:03am PST 
We beagles get along with everyone...but my 'mom' would tell you that we follow our noses so you can't just open the door and expect us to come back.......beagles also really love food and we're pretty good at convincing people we're always hungry...that's why you see so many of us that have ruebenesque figures.

for more information on beagles, you can go to the website of the rescue group our pack works with...there's a whole lot of information there:

www.bonesbeagles.org

There's also a long established on line beagle group you can google and then join for some 'real life advice...look for I-BARC
[notify]
Jagen &- Corky

Inseparable

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 8:59am PST 
Beagles make some of the nicest pets - they're even-tempered, energetic, and great with children and families, but they do have their frustrating qualities. Mainly their noses. They tend to get us beagles in trouble a lot, and we do have a tendency to run off, so we agree with the advice about keeping them on lead until they're completely trained (or giving them a nice big enclosed run area). Lots of exercise helps, and we, too, like to play the "find it!" game where lots of treats get sprinkled all over the room and we go find them. (We love "liver biscottis" --liverbiscotti.com--they are tiny & crunchy, tasty, you get a lot in a package, they're healthy, and they won't put on as much weight as we beagles tend to do!)

Because of their noses, beagles are somewhat difficult to train, but it just takes lots of repetition (as with many dogs) and the right methods. Check for a positive dog trainer in your area. Certified Pet Dog Trainers (CPDTs) use positive methods, and beagles work really well with this approach (lure-reward) because they can be so motivated by food. Check the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (www.apdt.com) to find someone near you.

Finally, we agree with others that we tend to mellow out after a couple/few years. We also do REALLY well when there's a routine and everyone in the family follows it, more or less. Make us sit before you hook us up to the leash or take us out, then give us treats, and pretty soon you'll see that we do it almost automatically. Just do it regularly for a few weeks or months. Once we have it, we usually remember quite well.

Hope this helps!
[notify]
Hannah

Snoopy as a- beagle!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 9:07am PST 
Congrats Zeppelin & fam on your new addition!!

Having an Arrrooo-er in the house is woooooooonderful!!! My Mama grew up having cats all her life, so going from that to me was a big adjustment for her!! Beagles-- like all other doggies-- are work, of course, and beagles-- like all other doggies, have their little quirks, too!!! For example, I thoroughly have to agree with the ALWAYS being leashed when outside!!!! The RARE occasions when I'm allowed to run without someone holding my leash (but it's still attached to me so I can't make a quick getaway!) are when we're going out on our boat and I'll run right to our dock, when I'm playing at my grandpuprents with my pup-cousins, and when I'm running to the car to leave!! Any other time, my nose tends to lead me away!!! And for some odd reason, when my nose is in overdrive, my ears don't seem to work!!! big grin

Beagles are very high energy and loooove to play!!! I especially love being outside, and on a nice summer day, I'm completely content to sit in the sunshine and watch the animals, bugs, leaves, etc... I also loooove the feel of the wind blowing my floppy ears when we're out on the boat-- I even learned how to swim this summer AND jump off the boat into the water!! I take my mama rollerblading-- yes, I pull her-- and I'm all of 17 lbs!!! Probably the most important thing you can do for your new Arrrooo-er it to keep her ACTIVE!! It you keep her active, she won't get bored & destructive (become a chewer!), and she won't get overweight (also common in beagles).

But probably the best, best, best thing about being an Arrrrooo-er??? We're an AMAZING family doggie!!! I have a 5 1/2 year old human brother, so just imagine the patience I must have to endure his tortures!! But I still love him!
cloud 9
I have 2 infant cousins that love cuddling with on my Mama's lap when she hold them!!
cloud 9
I looooove snuggling under the covers at night with my Mama and Daddy!!
cloud 9
I love laying down on Mama's feet when she's in the kitchen trying to cook!
I looove giving kisses and getting kisses and getting belly rubs and letting out that big ol' sigh to let everyone know that I'm happy!
cloud 9
I love showing everyone my big ol' floppy ears, my huuuuuuge smile, and that I'm the happiest puppy ever!!!

snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy

Wags, howls & sloppy kisses, Hannah

If you have any other Arrrrroooo-er Q's feel free to ask my Mama!!
[notify]
Jagen &- Corky

Inseparable

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 9:10am PST 
One more thought -
All beagles are not doomed to being confined their whole lives. In fact, this could make them anxious and create new problems. They just need the proper training and consistency, and the main thing to work on is the "recall" or getting them to come when called. This IS possible with beagles - it just takes a bit more work than with some other breeds. Make sure when you're training them to come that you don't yank them to you (don't use choke collars), and that you're using extra special tasty training treats during these trainings. One way to get started is to first teach the dog to sit and stay reliably. Then to train it to come to you, stand close to the dog, put it in the sit-stay, back up a few steps, call the dog in an excited, happy voice to come, and when the dog comes to you (just those couple of feet), give it the treat and lots of praise. Then back up a few feet more and repeat. You can do lots of these little sit/stay-backup-come-treat sequences all over your yard. About 5-10 minutes max each time, but 3-4 times a day. The beagles will love it. Eventually, the dog will start responding to that command and you can then back up farther and farther each time, but still repeating the process. I'd keep the dog on a loose leash during this process until you can really trust it.

Good luck!
[notify]
Dillon

Crossed the- Rainbow Bridge- 11/5/07

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '07 12:14pm PST 
When I was an outside dog (in my younger years), mom & dad would keep me in a fenced in run. Beagles are either diggers or climbers and you will discover which fairly quickly. Our gang was all diggers (there were 4 of us at one point in time), so we were on cement. We were fed once a day in the evening, so we would get out for a short run around the yard just before being fed. Since beagles love to eat as much if not more than they love to hunt, we would never run too far before dinner. After dinner.....that's a different story! smile BOL. My older brother Marshal was chained before we build the kennels and he would find a way to escape. He always ransacked the neighborhood and returned to his doghouse before mom & dad got home!
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '07 11:48am PST 
I was raised with APBTs . You can tell your mom that in a lot of ways we are just like our bully cousins. We can be just as hard headed, but we really want to please. The biggest difference is that when our noses start working our ears tend to shut down.big grin

Once the new chicka is out of heat, she should get a chance to play with you guys, supervised, but one on one. I've got a feeling that one on one you guys will get the idea about playing nice. My big brother and sisters all were. Mom and Dad just wouldn't let them play with me alone or as a group. Everyone bullie would get mad at one another and want to fight if we were in a group...they all wanted to protect me because I was 'the baby'.shrug

Like it has been mentioned before...no off leash.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2