GO!

My beagle brother..

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mochi

MoOoO

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '07 10:33pm PST 
so my brothers beagle...howl's barks like crazy nonstop at the window all the time. I was just wondering is it just him? or it's just a beagle thing, and is there any good ways to teach him how to stop? he's already 2 years old. My brother think its too late to "teach an old dog new tricks."
[notify]
♥Trix- ie- Beaglesworth- RI

I am NOT a goofy- goober!

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 12:15am PST 
Copper doesn't bark but Trixie will bark and howl at everything she sees at the window. If your brother's dog is like her, she focuses on what she sees and mom has to distract her. Now we know beags can be stubborn so sometimes that can be hard to do. wink If she makes the EH EH sound to ehr and she ignores it she will take something and put in her line of vision. That will usually be enough to get her to look at mom who will then tell her NO. Trixie will usually stop if mom can get her attention. It is just breaking that focus off what she is looking at. Plus beagles will let you know when they "find" things and he is telling you he is "finding" things that are outside that window. wink
So anyway, for us it is breaking the focus off what she is barking at.
[notify]
Hannah

Snoopy as a- beagle!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 1:09pm PST 
I wouldn't necessarily call it a beagle thing...

Sometimes Mama and Daddy encourage me to bark-- I'm a great watch dog when Mama's home alone... maybe too good, sometimes... But I don't bark at EVERY little thing I see!! I'll bark when someone I know gets to our house and they're not giving me attention quickly enough! Or, I'll bark if people I don't know walk through the neighbors yards. It's pretty rare that I'll bark at a random noise~ it really has to startle me to draw a bark or a howl--- it may make the hair on my spine stand up and draw a growl under my breath, but not necessarily a bark!

My mama actually thinks my pup cousin who is a Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu mix is more of a barker than me at random things!!! big laugh
[notify]

Maggie

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '07 4:26pm PST 
My mom taught me "Quiet!" though it doesn't always work. I think it works enough to keep her sanity though. If she says it and I stay quiet sometimes she will give me a treat for being good and listening. She doesn't always give a treat so I try to be good just in case.
[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '07 4:26pm PST 
My mom taught me "Quiet!" though it doesn't always work. I think it works enough to keep her sanity though. If she says it and I stay quiet sometimes she will give me a treat for being good and listening. She doesn't always give a treat so I try to be good just in case.
[notify]