GO!

PLEASE HELP OUR BASSET!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

♥Lord- Pippin&heart- s;

I RULE! I OWN! I- POSSESS!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 8:53am PST 
Pooh, my 11.5 year old Basset Hound has just been diagnosed with cutaneous and/or possible systemic histiocytosis! He has had this condition for two years now where he gets these awful inflammatory lesions on his skin that ulcerate and can get quite large. Last year I was being told that this was rare form of cutaneous lymphoma but now with the newer samples of biopsies we submitted we are being told this is a histiocytic disease. I have searched the internet extensively and there is not much information on this disease except at the UC Davis site.
Has anyone had experience with either cutaneous and/or systemic histiocytosis? We are finding that Leflunamide is the treatment of choice but can cause side effects like chemo. My vet also found that prednisone, tetracycline and niacinamide can also be used.
Right now Pooh has a larger lesion on his side that really bothers him and we are doing pain management as it looks like a large burn frown
If you have any experience or additional information on cutaneous histiocytic disease/systemic histiocytic disease (or on wound healing) please email me at my personal email: drherrmann@webkraft-hs.net
Thank you!
Sincerely,
Ingrid
[notify]