GO!

How do bassets manage stairs?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lucy

You've got some- 'splainin to do!

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 12:47pm PST 
I know this is an odd question but I am seriously considering adopting a 5 year old male basset. Just wondering if they ever have trouble climbing stairs. We have a set going up to our second floor. Is it hard for them to get up them? Just something I was thinking about.
[notify]
Droopy CD,- RA, HH, TDI,- CGC

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Sep 17, '09 6:37pm PST 
We had a house with stairs for about a year and a half and Droopy did just fine. He climbed up and down them all day. He would often play on the stairs and I saw him go up a couple of steps backwards one day while playing with his sister.

Stairs could be a problem for an old or arthritic basset, but they shouldn't be a problem for a healthy, active dog.
[notify]
Fa la la la- Luce!

Swallowed a- Whistle

Barked: Tue Dec 1, '09 2:44pm PST 
We have two flights of stairs leading up to our house and two more flights down to the backyard. I am a 12 year-old, blind, Basset Hound and have no trouble getting up and down the stairs! smile

Raynor

The Best Bagle

Barked: Thu Dec 10, '09 10:44am PST 
Usually they do just fine!! If they are really really steep - it can be a bit tough. My basset mix has trouble with the stairs to our finished attic because they are so steep - then again , most humans have trouble with them.
If anything, it will get harder when the dog gets older - as with any dog, but it can be a bit harder for bassets.
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 6:01am PST 
My basset has no problems with stairs that are closed but if they are open he won't even think about using them. So to make a long story short he will go up the stairs but he won't go in the celler because the stairs are open.
[notify]