GO!

Leaving my Pup

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 9:11pm PST 
I'm getting an aussie puppy in approximately 4 weeks when he's old enough to come home with me, however I just recieved a promotion at work and will now be working 40 hrs/week instead of 24hrs/week. I do currently live with family, and I am trying to work out a deal with them to help me out... just trying to figure out the puppy's schedule needs before I bring them a proposition. I was just wondering what my best options are for leaving the puppy along approx. 9hrs with minimal supervision.

I am planning on getting a crate and crate training him. Also, I live on a small acreage with another dog who is a mainly outside dog. I was wondering how aussies do outside for the majority of the day? He would be on a "bungee" lead that is 20m long (am trying to work out that someone checks on him while out there), and have access to his crate/food/water/toys at all times. My other dog is a Bernese cross Golden who has been outside since he was a pup, sometime with minimal supervision, and he was always fine.

This schedule is temporary (for the first 8 weeks) before I move to my own place and my schedule re-adjusts to approx. 5hrs a day with roommates who have alternate schedules to be home with the dog.

Thanks for your input!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 9:51pm PST 
I am new to Aussie life but what I have found is that they need you, to set rules and roles. I work 8 to 9 hours a day. Going crate is the second best thing ever, there is a hint. When I come home its about 2 hrs of play (rain days suc). Not 2hrs strait but a little fetch, food, hugs and kisses, fetch and more fetch, and classes aleast once a week.
[notify]