GO!

Heartworm meds in dog that has had MDR1 reaction

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:10pm PST 
Help! Found out the hard way that my foster catahoula has the MDR1 gene. After a week in ICU at Kansas State, he is a healthy 5 mo old terror! I can't find any consistent info on what to use for heartworm prevention. Since he's had the reaction, does that make him even more susceptible? He is going for a neuter next week & I'm already freaking about that. My vets are aware of the condition but its still scary. Every vet tells me that the dose in Heartguard is low enough- 68 mcg. His dose of Ivomec that I gave him was 50,000 mcg. But I'm having a hard time giving him anything that's a poison to him in any dose. Does anyone have experience with this?
[notify]