GO!

Do any Aussies have natural bobtails?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Wed Dec 16, '09 1:35am PST 
Just wondering. Have two Aussies in my family, with very different tails. Maggie was docked for sure. There's only a very tiny stump you can barely feel. Happy was a rescue, so we know nothing about his breeding. He actually has a "bobtail" that's cute and fluffy when he wags it. Would it have been docked that long? (about three inches.)

I know it's often inaccurate and incomplete, but the show Dogs 101 on Animal Planet said that Aussies have natural bobtails. I said "What?!!" when I heard that.
[notify]
Snowberrys- The Skys The- Limit

I'm not just- another dumb- blonde

Barked: Wed Dec 16, '09 2:50am PST 
No, aussies don't have natural bobtails. Some can actually be born with short, 1/2 tails or even shorter. But I've heard that those dogs may have a tendency to have back problems.
[notify]
Chase (CGC)

I'm A Proud- Wiggle Butt!

Barked: Wed Dec 16, '09 8:10am PST 
Yes, they can. Chase's sister was born with a bobtail (I know this because I saw the litter from the time it was born), but it's not something most breeders want. From what I understand, most of them end up with back problems, though Chase's sister turned out fine.

Of course, they are a little longer.. you can def. tell the difference between a natural and a docked.
[notify]

Maggie & Porter

We are serious- trouble

Barked: Fri Dec 18, '09 9:09pm PST 
I have seen many lengths of tails in Aussie. Port barely has a stub (one vertebra-ish), Maggie has enough for a small flag(5 vertebrae), Missy has maybe three, and with my temp boarders one has a half tail and his brother has a full tail.

One of the breeders in the area recently had a litter and 3/6 were natural bobs, the others had tails/partial tails. NBT's are not bred for in good breeders because there can be back issues or other spinal related problems that are avoided by not breeding a NBTxNBT and so on for generations.

I personally love a tailed Aussie! But the wigglebutts that happen with no tail are just too cute!
[notify]
Dutchess

I am the- princess!

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 10:02pm PST 
Dutchess was a rescue and was pregnant when we got her. She had 3 puppies and 1 puppy was born w/a natural bob tail. One w/ 3/4 of a tail and 1 w/a full tail.
[notify]
Ranger

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 1:52pm PST 
I am not to clear on a point. Do dogs with the natural bob tail have spine problems or are litters of NBT x NBT susceptible to problems.
[notify]
ღSierra ღ

I'm A fighter...- <3

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 1:40pm PST 
I just got a Australian Shepherd, and the breeder informed me that they do come with bobtails, cause his pups always have bobed tails...
Dont know alot of history with these breeds of dogs... But this is what the breeder informed me...
[notify]
Dutchess

I am the- princess!

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 4:13pm PST 
I'm not sure if they have spine problems or not. The pup that Dutchess had does not have spine problems at all. We get updates from the families that adopted her pups and she hasn't had any issues at all.
[notify]
Clancy

Ball fixated!

Barked: Wed Mar 3, '10 2:33pm PST 
I've had Aussies for 20 years and they can be born with bobtails. It used to be about 50-50 but that may have changed due to breeders' preferences. Many good working stock dogs were born with bobtails and if they had back problems it didn't affect their ability to work stock!
[notify]
Kilkenny's- Saint Samson

Barked: Fri Mar 5, '10 1:10pm PST 
If you look into registries, they actually will require Aussies to be denoted as docked or NBT. It is not uncommon for an aussie to be born with a bob tail.
What IS bad is to breed a NBT to a NBT. That is the major source of spinal problems related to bobtails, so registries keep records of whether a dog was docked or not in order to avoid having NBTs bred to other NBTs. Dogs that are bred Docked x NBT do not typically have spinal problems, and dogs born from docked x docked can have natural bobtails.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2