GO!

excessive shedding

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Stella

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 7:16am PST 
everything i've read says aussies don't shed much. however Stella is shedding like crazy. next to her bed in the morning is an amount of fur that i could probably build some sort of robo aussie. my male, Miller doesn't shed much, and because of that, i'm somewhat concerned. any ideas, suggestions?
[notify]
Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 8:52am PST 
I think alot of bred write ups down play how much aussies do shed. They easily match my collie and border collie in shedding. They also 'blow' their coat twice a year (un-spayed females 3 times a year) typically in the spring and fall. When you will find far more fur than usual. A good brushing, warm bath and blow dry by a groomer should cut down on the amount of tumbleweeds in the home.

It may also be a dietary or health issue, poor quality food or allergies. There are lots of natural supplements that can help improve coat quality.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 11:03am PST 
thank you very much. i didn't know about the "blow" thing. interesting. i'll probably still start work on that "robo aussie". i mean think about it, the best dog ever mixed with latest technology, i would more than likely rule the world. thanks again.
[notify]

Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 12:49pm PST 
big laugh Your welcomelaugh out loud
[notify]
Cody- Alexander

live ur life you- may not be there- tomaro

Barked: Fri Jun 12, '09 8:56pm PST 
its fact that normaly the femals shed more than male aussies because they shed the 2 times at normal rate and they shed while in heat and while haveing a litter of puppies so i guess its normal for your femal to shed more cody is male therefore he doesnt shed as bad
[notify]
Sequoyah

Workaholic

Barked: Sun Feb 21, '10 7:21am PST 
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add that if your dog is losing coat excessively, you may want to have a full thyroid panel done. Hypothyroidism is more common in Aussies than most people think, and can cause hair loss.
[notify]