GO!

Extra Large Aussies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trooper

Treats, Treats- and More- Treats!!!!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '08 11:37am PST 
I am fostering an aussie that weighs 89#. He's male, about 6 yrs old, black tri and just neutered. I've never seen an aussie this big before and I've fostered quite a few. Does anybody have an aussie in the Extra Large range. I'd love to see pics.
[notify]
Pi

My name is Pi- and I'm a belly- rub addict

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '08 1:18pm PST 
I have never seen an Aussie that weighted that much that wasn't simply over-weight... Is he over-weight? What did the vet say?

When I first got Pi he weight 66lbs and the vet told me that he was over-weight, he now weighs a healthy 60lbs.
[notify]
Trooper

Treats, Treats- and More- Treats!!!!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '08 6:03pm PST 
Not really...lots of fur....maybe a little overweight. I'll try to get pics posted.
[notify]

Teddy

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '08 6:43pm PST 
I've been added to the family. What do you think? Big boy, aren't I?
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 4:29am PST 
we fostered a VERY large male aussie. A red tri named Brumby. When he came into rescue he was 89lbs. YEAH... woah buddy. He was overweight... he should have been about 75. We did get him down to about 79 when he left here... he was 'over loved'... as they say. LOL. But, on the other hand he was a VERY large aussie. People used to ask if he was a golden retriever because he was the same sort of size as them, with the same long fur, though he was most definately all aussie. He was just HUGE!
[notify]
Pi

My name is Pi- and I'm a belly- rub addict

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 3:39pm PST 
Teddy looks a over weight to me... I still think 75lbs is REALLY big, but sometimes it happens. The average weight for a male should be 50-65 lbs.

I would ask the vet if they think he is overweight, an overweight Aussie isn't a good thing.
[notify]
Teddy

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 11:32am PST 
Teddy is much taller than my "normal weight" aussies who are at 48-50 lbs. at 6 yrs. of age. He is being shaved today in a lion cut. It will be interesting to see him tonight and what it looks like under all this fur. He is probably a bit overweight but honestly, I still think he'd be a good 80 lbs. and be fine. What with my fosters and my own aussies I can't keep up with all the brushing. Cruiser is getting shaved all over. She got "skunked" in December and when she gets wet you can still smell it. Plus peroxide mix we used to get rid of the smell left her coat looking red and awful. So now she can grow out hopefully smelling and looking better. And no more skunks! Ewwwww wink
[notify]
UCH Heavensent Mercy Mercy Me

One In A Million

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '08 5:59pm PST 
Hmm sounds like he may be a tad overweight.
Going by the site i use, The Aussie standard is :
Height: Dogs 20-23 inches (52-58cm.) Bitches 18-21 inches (46-53cm.)
Weight: Dogs 50-65 pounds (25-29 kg) Bitches 40-55 pounds (18-25 kg.)

I know males can get pretty big though, lol. Luckily i have a female who is 19" at withers and weighs in a healthy 46lbs last time i weighed her.
[notify]
Teddy

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 11:39am PST 
I was adopted last week to a very nice home with an elderly couple who wanted a larger aussie. I got shaved and amdefinitely not overweight....just a big boy who didn't fit into the standard. I hope my new family will give me forever home. I'm really tired of being moved around when I'm such a good boy. I will protect my new family and follow my new dad out to his shop and lay at my new mom's feet when she's in the kitchen. I'll keep her company and safe when dad's out of town.

We loved you Teddy. You were a good boy! happy dance
[notify]
Ty

Ty boy!

Barked: Mon Jul 7, '08 7:15am PST 
How tall is he at the withers????
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2