GO!

ACD Blue Heeler Puppy Potty Training Help

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jasper

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 12:01am PST 
Hi everyone, big grin

I'm a new ACD owner, my little man is very well behaved besides the usual biting on everything! I am struggling to toilet train him, I take him out after he drinks and eats and after he has had a nap. I praise him when he goes outside but he still seems to be going in the house a lot.

I'd like to know what everyone elses methods were to toilet train their furbaby? and how long did it take before there was improvement?

Thanks guys
[notify]
Callie

Fur ball

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 4:27pm PST 
Are you crate training your puppy? That is the most effective and quickest way to teach potty training. I did it with my 6 week old cattle dog and she was housebroken in 2 weeks. I did live in a small apartment at the time though and that helped. But before that I had also crate trained a different puppy with excellent results. You should be able to find more info about crate training on this website. Good luck!
[notify]
Ringo

Barked: Mon Nov 4, '13 7:40am PST 
Crate training is the best method, and crate training is useful for many situations. It's also possible that your pup doesn't know how to tell you he needs to go out, or he does, and you're not picking up on it. Before we got a doggy door, we hung jingle bells by the kitchen door. We trained Ringo to use the bells whenever he needed to go out. Of course, being a smart little cattle dog, he started to ring the bells to go outside to play! We had to make sure that if he didn't ring them to do his business, then he had to come right back inside.
[notify]